Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1992 VP Cooling Problems

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
Door locking wiring may take a bit of sorting out like the cluster. In the meantime can you deadlock the driver's door by turning the key until it is flat- this should mechanically lock the drivers door and electrically lock the other 3.
When I do that, it locks the drivers door, but the rest lock and unlock. I was speaking to my uncle today and said i should get a new gauge cluster, is it possible to put one in that has a tacho etc, or does that require different wiring? In the meantime i'm gonna try to resolder the gauge cluster.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
It is, the best cluster is called the level 3. What's your present cluster got? You need to to look into the how to's on this forum to see what's involved. Be careful , level 3 clusters are getting expensive as you need to find one with all of the LCD's along the bottom & the trip computer working. These are expensive to fix unless you know what you are doing- a bloke on ebay used to charge around $ 400 to fix them.

If you just want a tacho maybe settle for a less expensive , lower spec'd cluster- it should just plug in.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
It is, the best cluster is called the level 3. What's your present cluster got? You need to to look into the how to's on this forum to see what's involved. Be careful , level 3 clusters are getting expensive as you need to find one with all of the LCD's along the bottom & the trip computer working. These are expensive to fix unless you know what you are doing- a bloke on ebay used to charge around $ 400 to fix them.

If you just want a tacho maybe settle for a less expensive , lower spec'd cluster- it should just plug in.
Its just the stock executive cluster (temp, fuel, speed), i have about 250 bucks to fix as many problems as i can, i will just try to get this cluster working. Also here is a photo of it.
image3.png

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
The body looks good- that's what costs real money to fix. You want to check out the nearby wreckers for parts- to get an idea of where best to spend your $250 on parts. And a good wrecker can give you free advice- try and find one with gray hair.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
The body looks good- that's what costs real money to fix. You want to check out the nearby wreckers for parts- to get an idea of where best to spend your $250 on parts. And a good wrecker can give you free advice- try and find one with gray hair.
I know a good one, but he treats us young guys like ****. The only body related parts that are missing is the funny plastic thing in the centre of the front grille, the rear bumper, muffler, the rear right tail light (Dad reversed it into an orange tree :/ ) and the parts of the front headlights.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Acclaim
I know a good one, but he treats us young guys like ****. The only body related parts that are missing is the funny plastic thing in the centre of the front grille, the rear bumper, muffler, the rear right tail light (Dad reversed it into an orange tree :/ ) and the parts of the front headlights.
Update, I took the dash out and did the regulator fix, that didnt work, im going to try and get a new cluster.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Update, I took the dash out and did the regulator fix, that didnt work, im going to try and get a new cluster.
Did you bridge & check the ALDL for any codes?

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
You get code 3 times then fault codes come up if there are any.

Get level 2 dash basically same as what you have with rev tacho...level 3 needs patch harness for extra lcd windows/functions to work.

Keep it simple.Level 2 dashes are cheaper & more available.