Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1995 200sx sports daily.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
Interesting, well when I get them in I will give an update on my experiences but because I have done so many things it will be a hard variable to isolate.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Good to see another Commodore to Japanese car owner.

Thats a nice list of mods you've got coming together. Then one thing i'd like to genuinely hear your opinion on, is why you went Cusion Button clutch with only 150rwkw?

I'll keep and eye on this thread, looks good so far.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
Good to see another Commodore to Japanese car owner.

Thats a nice list of mods you've got coming together. Then one thing i'd like to genuinely hear your opinion on, is why you went Cusion Button clutch with only 150rwkw?

I'll keep and eye on this thread, looks good so far.

I believe in do it once do it right. i spare NO expense when building something how i wannt it, i dont buy 'cheap parts' i buy good deals on parts.

the extra heavy duty (yes its exrta not just hd) clutch is overkill for what i am currently running but with this, the rebuilt gearbox the lock diff and all the new subframe mounts diff mounts and wheel bearings i have a 100% bulletproof drivetrain. i never want to have to replace my clutch (for atleast 40-50,000 kms) and when the time comes for more power which i hope will be around 250rwkw the clutch will still be overkill. and i wont have to worry about pumping the clutch in 3rd gear sideways 'is it going to slip is it not' "NO IT WONT SLIP GO FOR IT". also it is fully rebuild-able so i will always have a good clutch to use.

that is my reasoning, hope you consider it genuine.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
Today i did the subframe bushes, no pics it was pretty simple.. that is all.

it also turns out that the 5 bolt and 6 bolt half shafts ARE NOT interchangeable as one of the 6 bolts is a few mm too long, all the splines line up but its a tiny bit longer (i think due to them coming from a 3.69 diff going into a 4.3) so the dust comer doesnt reach the seal, i could run them but i will probably blow a diff seal and chew out the diff. =(

also the wheel bearings were extremely hard to get out, covered in wd and heated up immensely under a 12 ton press and the press started bending, so i dropped them off to a mate who has a bigger press in a workshop and hopefully can pick them up tomorrow all done for a small fee.

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
I believe in do it once do it right. i spare NO expense when building something how i wannt it, i dont buy 'cheap parts' i buy good deals on parts.

the extra heavy duty (yes its exrta not just hd) clutch is overkill for what i am currently running but with this, the rebuilt gearbox the lock diff and all the new subframe mounts diff mounts and wheel bearings i have a 100% bulletproof drivetrain. i never want to have to replace my clutch (for atleast 40-50,000 kms) and when the time comes for more power which i hope will be around 250rwkw the clutch will still be overkill. and i wont have to worry about pumping the clutch in 3rd gear sideways 'is it going to slip is it not' "NO IT WONT SLIP GO FOR IT". also it is fully rebuild-able so i will always have a good clutch to use.

that is my reasoning, hope you consider it genuine.

It seems like pretty sound reasoning. Although just one more question

Is the rebuild for the box just a freshen up or a complete rebuild with straight cut synchro gears/dog gears?
If its not the latter of the two, you just changed your weakest link in your drive-train from your clutch to your Gearbox.

P.s. I'm not hating, just having a good old fashioned chat.

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
It seems like pretty sound reasoning. Although just one more question

Is the rebuild for the box just a freshen up or a complete rebuild with straight cut synchro gears/dog gears?
If its not the latter of the two, you just changed your weakest link in your drive-train from your clutch to your Gearbox.

P.s. I'm not hating, just having a good old fashioned chat.

I wish i had that kind of money =D i tried to get a quote and the guy looked ad me and said "do you really want one" (me: yes) "thousands" so i said pass...

its a full bearing and full synchro kit and new shift springs, and yeah i know it will be my new weakest link. they are notorious for ripping 3rd gear out of the casing under high load (and grip) but im hoping that the 4.3 diff will put less stress on it and that the 205 tyres to drift with spin up easily.

it is a bit of a gamble and i have given it wayyy too much thought, 'should i pay 1300 for a full rebuild or should i pay 1800 for an rb25det box thta may need a rebuild itself plus all the adaptor plating' 'should i just do an rb25det conversion' <<dont really like how they sound though.

in the end if it breaks well then stupid me and i will get a stronger box. i have a mate with an s15 6 speed near 250rwkw on stock bottom end and he thrashes it and his gearbox is fine (they are like the weakest gearboxes nissan has ever made and they are quite shameful of it) so the way i see it i have a fighting chance for it to stay in tact for a reasonably long time.

Ari666: its not a sprung center its cushion button so it is pretty street-able, i have driven a couple with these types of clutches and i dont mind them, however i am young so maybe i just put up with it because of what it is.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
have not done anything for the past couple of days, still waiting for my wheel bearings to return and hopefully getting a call from the workshop that has my gearbox saying that i can go pick it up... only time will tell.