Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

1996 VS Taking 10 minutes to warm up

boojak87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II SS 5.7L
Now that this has been brought up I have actually realised I get exactly the same thing on my 96 vs! Heater takes a good 10 mins to warm up, and i don't know if this has anything to do with it but i'm getting fairly piss poor economy lately as well? Could a thermostat effect that? (I've had o2 sensors replaced, throttle body and iac valve cleaned, complete fuel system checked for leaks but still manage to only get 350kms to a normal exec tank).

Cheers all,
Boojakz

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
Yes thermostats can be very critical for a cars fuel economy, especially a fuel injected one. In fact it can play havoc with the fuel injection duration thereby using excessive fuel and greater emissions. The heater will take longer to heat up if stuck open and by the sounds of things, that is the problem. If a customer came in with this scenario I would go straight to the thermostat assembly and replace it. If it needs doing usually a coolant change is also required as it may not have been changed in a long time! Never pull one out of a fuel injected vehicle and leave it out as a car not heating up correctly can be just as bad as one overheating!!!

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
boojak87 said:
Now that this has been brought up I have actually realised I get exactly the same thing on my 96 vs! Heater takes a good 10 mins to warm up, and i don't know if this has anything to do with it but i'm getting fairly piss poor economy lately as well? Could a thermostat effect that? (I've had o2 sensors replaced, throttle body and iac valve cleaned, complete fuel system checked for leaks but still manage to only get 350kms to a normal exec tank).

Cheers all,
Boojakz

i've got a s1 exec and i thought that geting ~400km/tank was normal because of its smaller fuel tank?

though admitably yes mine takes a good 5mins or so to get a hint of warm on it.

will have to look at that on a spare day.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Don't forget to check the vacuum operated heater hot water on/off valve - they can stick partially closed and only allow minimal flow.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
as stated in the owners's manual, VR/VS dont need to be warmed up

if you are picky, rev it until it evens out then drive

frenzal_tom

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VS2 Berlina
hmm interesting
mine takes a bit of time to warm up aswell

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
I would suggest that what you are experiencing is pretty normal. In the colder weather, say 10 degrees and below, I can be driving for 10 minutes or longer, and the temp gauge has only just moved off the Cold position. My parents VS is the same, they just take a LONG time to warm up, but you can still get plenty of heat in this time, its just that the gauge takes ages to register.

I have climate control in my car, and no heat is available till the engine coolant gets to 45 deg C, so I am without any heat for about 3 minutes or so, first thing in the morning, and then it gradually increases the heat into the cabin.

As others have suggested, have a look at the thermostat, for the sake of $12 I replace mine every time I flush the cooling system, cheap insurance in my books.

haloeight

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato SII L67 S/C V6
yer my climate is the same

pity the thermostat on the super6 is a nightmare to get to!...otherwise id do it more often

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
How can you check if the thermo is stuck open?

Would this cause rough idol also?

hotrod32

Reaction score
Website
www.notdadzkustoms.cjb.net
Members Ride
1995 VS Executive
Even though a manual says that a car shouldnt need to be warmed up, doesnt acually meen that its true. All cars should be warmed up before being driven so that all parts can come up to operating temperture and that the oil can come up to its required viscosity. My 95 VS never reaches the cold part of my guage, as its always below and i feel that it hurts my economy greatly along with engine life. im getting half as many miles out of it then i did out of my VN which never seemed to have any problems warming to about 1/4. I will investigate this firther.