Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

20" Mags Cracking on my VF

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
I bought my VF about 2 months ago and it came with a set of 20" PDW wheels, 5-spoke, nice looking, good overall wheel... except for the fact I've had my rear left and front left crack within a month of each other. I'm ordering a new 4 set of Hussla Billz Gloss Black to replace them as they're the closest in appearance I can find, as the PDW wheels are discontinued. I'm just worried, however, due to the cracking of my current 20" PDW wheels, if I'm making a bad move getting another set of 20"s? I'm not sure whether to place the blame on the previous owner (unsure of how they were treated or how long ago they were purchased, he won't respond to my queries), the road conditions, myself for not driving carefully enough, etc. If anyone more familiar with wheels and materials, qualities, etc is able to give me some insight into what I'm getting myself into with these new wheels it would be much much appreciated.

The wheels that I've been running that have cracked are these: http://www.pdwgroup.com.au/product/c-spec-2/
And the set I intend to buy to replace are these: https://www.husslawheels.com.au/product/billz-gloss-black/

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The problem is almost definitely the wheels, not the car ... you won't have this problem if the replacement wheels are decent.
A lot of aftermarket wheels are pretty sub-standard, this has been a Thing for decades now.

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
The problem is almost definitely the wheels, not the car ... you won't have this problem if the replacement wheels are decent.
A lot of aftermarket wheels are pretty sub-standard, this has been a Thing for decades now.

Yeah I was speaking to the people at the mags shop earlier, employee said he has my exact rims for his VT, and all 4 of them cracked on him, and when I brought up that I was planning to buy Hussla branded 20" wheels he started praising how their work vans have Hussla's and they get thrashed, bashed and they turn out fine. I just hope I'm paying $1500 for a good quality product in buying these new wheels.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Have they cracked on the edges? Have they got on the rims, they meet Aust/NZ design rules...If they do, head to a major tyre store chain and ask to speak to a rep in person...Good chance they'll replace them under warranty

VryBigPP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY14
Have they cracked on the edges? Have they got on the rims, they meet Aust/NZ design rules...If they do, head to a major tyre store chain and ask to speak to a rep in person...Good chance they'll replace them under warranty

Unfortunately the wheels have been discontinued for a fair bit now it seems, and they've been with the old owner since god-knows-when. That, and I don't have any receipts, proof of purchase or anything, that was all the old owner. So I don't think I'm getting any replacement for these exact ones.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Unfortunately the wheels have been discontinued for a fair bit now it seems, and they've been with the old owner since god-knows-when. That, and I don't have any receipts, proof of purchase or anything, that was all the old owner. So I don't think I'm getting any replacement for these exact ones.

No receipt required....I don't know too many people that keep a recipt for something bought 12 months ago, unless it was for tax pruposes...You may be able to get a discount on another type of wheel with their range, should you wish to pursue a claim

Just giving you some options if you wish to go with them

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Maybe those rims were discontinued because they weren’t great quality and there were too many warranty issues. If that’s the case, I’d be taking vc_commodore’s advice and discuss the rim failure with the distributers representative. If it gets sorted quickly, then thats an indication of a good importer and possible a **** wheel…

As to replacements, rims you’d want quality drop forged rims if you stay with 20” or even go 19”. Slender wheels need to be strong and drop forging accomplished this… spun wheels, not so much…

Me, I’d go 19” factory drop forged rims which came with some VE’s & VF’s, if you can find them. You’ll get a slightly more compliant ride and the wheels will cope much better on our potholed roads down under and they still look good and clear Brembo brakes if you have them

PS: be wary of cheap drop forged rims, man6 are simply forgeries and not forged :p

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Maybe those rims were discontinued because they weren’t great quality and there were too many warranty issues. If that’s the case, I’d be taking vc_commodore’s advice and discuss the rim failure with the distributers representative. If it gets sorted quickly, then thats an indication of a good importer and possible a **** wheel…

As to replacements, rims you’d want quality drop forged rims if you stay with 20” or even go 19”. Slender wheels need to be strong and drop forging accomplished this… spun wheels, not so much…

Me, I’d go 19” factory drop forged rims which came with some VE’s & VF’s, if you can find them. You’ll get a slightly more compliant ride and the wheels will cope much better on our potholed roads down under and they still look good and clear Brembo brakes if you have them

PS: be wary of cheap drop forged rims, man6 are simply forgeries and not forged :p

Every few years, wheel manufacturers discontinue a line of wheels and introduce another, just to keep interest in them going....Very much like new cars, introducing new wheels with them.

So yes, it is quite possible it was a design flaw, or might have been one of those "we'll discontinue and introduce an new range" scenarios...

I am familiar with the brand, but can't remember if they comply with out standards...Either way, it is worth investigating options like suggested

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I bought my VF about 2 months ago and it came with a set of 20" PDW wheels, 5-spoke, nice looking, good overall wheel... except for the fact I've had my rear left and front left crack within a month of each other. I'm ordering a new 4 set of Hussla Billz Gloss Black to replace them as they're the closest in appearance I can find, as the PDW wheels are discontinued. I'm just worried, however, due to the cracking of my current 20" PDW wheels, if I'm making a bad move getting another set of 20"s? I'm not sure whether to place the blame on the previous owner (unsure of how they were treated or how long ago they were purchased, he won't respond to my queries), the road conditions, myself for not driving carefully enough, etc. If anyone more familiar with wheels and materials, qualities, etc is able to give me some insight into what I'm getting myself into with these new wheels it would be much much appreciated.

The wheels that I've been running that have cracked are these: http://www.pdwgroup.com.au/product/c-spec-2/
And the set I intend to buy to replace are these: https://www.husslawheels.com.au/product/billz-gloss-black/

I don’t consider $1500 to be much for a set of aftermarket rims, good quality forged will cost more.

I’ve been running 20 inch rims on 8 different cars since 2006 and only ever cracked one.

I hit a wash away at speed that I couldn’t see in the rain, it was a trench about foot wide and 6 inches deep where a service across the road had washed away.

I wasn’t helped by the fact I was also running 285/25R20 tyres.

It was a 3 piece forged rim and the manufacture arranged for the rim to be disassembled and a new barrel fitted all free of charge.

The rim was 5 years old at the time it cracked.

Prior to that the only rims I ever cracked were two 18 inch rims from a set I bought from Tempe Tyres for about what you are spending.

It’s cheaper in the end to pay extra for quality if you can afford to.

This is a photo of the barrel after it was removed, it cracked in two places.

1645173049587.jpeg

Last edited: