Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2003 holden vy crewman v6 fuel gauge problem

charliebrown73

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 6.0 m6
Hey everyone,
I'll set the scene a little, Friday I purchased a holden crewman vy crewman,
When I test dove the car about a week earlier i had noticed the fuel gauge was reading full etc and the mini dash said I had 480km to go so all good

Now after picking up car Friday with a 1/4 of a tank of fuel saying 58km to go I went to the local bp service station and filled her up now driving off I noticed the gauge didn't move on the way home I was getting the normal low fuel warnings etc and the gauge has been steadily dropping ever since with all the very low fuel warnings
I even thought about it last night and thought did I put 60 litres of air into the tank but I remember the fuel nozzle kicking off when she got full and I continued to top her off

I've looked at the manual and have noticed that I have to pull tank out to check sender
I don't really understand how the gauge has continued to go down etc
Any help greatly appreciated

Warnzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Crewman S Pac.
Hi Mate,

I have had my Crewman for about 4 years now and I have had the same problems with my fuel gauge to. If I am to run my tank to when the Empty light comes on and I fill up it, it will stay on empty for a couple days and all a sudden it comes good. So unless you want to painfully take the back tray off the check the sender I have found to just fill the tank up with about 100km left till empty and I never get troubles and you really shouldnt run your tank empty anyway!.

You could quite possibly ring Holden and check to see if the dash has the latest firmware on it which I have heard can help.
Hope that helps.

charliebrown73

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ssv 6.0 m6
Hey mate,
I spoke to the previous owner and he said that it had happened before but had reset itself
I only let it run that low because that's how I picked it up

Thanks heaps
for the reply ill keep an eye on it

Warnzie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 Holden Crewman S Pac.
Yeah sounds the exact same as mine. I will read empty for a while (maybe a couple days driving here and there) and then all asudden starts working again. Not sure if that tank has a float but maybe it gets stuck when tank gets low??

murph_1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S Ute
my vy ute and vz ute had a similar problem
i just fill it up when it says it is empty

Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Crewman VYII SS
Ah these Crewmans are a mystery bag.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
There was a thread about this earlier this year that also linked a thread back from 2006 or 2007 about the same thing.

It appears that the crewman suffers from a sender issue and no one has been able to fix it. Some do it, some don't.

Mohi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy commodore executive S2
when i bought mine.. had it checked by holden and they fixed it for no charge ,said it was a holden recall. mine was a 2003 vy s2

EazyVT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
My girlfriend has the same problem with her VY. I took it to see a mate of mine who has a Tech2. The only thing in the data log is "fuel sender unit voltage too high". I believe it's a fairly common problem and can now safely put it down to the fuel senders being ****. My VT done the exact same thing and the data log said the exact same thing.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Must be an '03 thing as my late '04 VYII is fine ;)