Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2004 WK statesman - weird headrests and alternative headunit? Thoughts?

JimmyS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK Statesman L67
G'day All,

Thought I'd share this with you guys out of interest as it's not something I've seen before...

One photo appears to be a headrest, where the rear half of it is black leather?

The other appears to be a headunit, it looks a bit like the more base model Commodore head unit of the era... but it has different buttons I think.

Any thoughts on these? Especially the headrests... never seen anything like that before.

The rest of the car looks very clean, so I can't put my finger on it.

headunit.JPG
headrests.JPG

H

harrop.senator

Suede rear of headrests can normal but I assumed they'd be cream . When you flip the centre rear console down it may have same material behind or on the top of the lid.

I can't zoom in well enough to see re head unit. They were the same head unit as poverty pack just with more speakers unless caprice.

Also unless it's a caprice you don't get the premium , premium sound from memory. I think mines got a couple small parcel shelf woofers if at all, front and rear doors and the tweeters under the dash.

I know my old caprice stereo was better anyway.

JimmyS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 WK Statesman L67
Suede rear of headrests can normal but I assumed they'd be cream . When you flip the centre rear console down it may have same material behind or on the top of the lid.

I can't zoom in well enough to see re head unit. They were the same head unit as poverty pack just with more speakers unless caprice.

Also unless it's a caprice you don't get the premium , premium sound from memory. I think mines got a couple small parcel shelf woofers if at all, front and rear doors and the tweeters under the dash.

I know my old caprice stereo was better anyway.

Just did some comparisons, yes it does appear the previous owner replaced the original unit with the poverty pack headunit - the head units that came in the Statesman's & Caprices didn't normally go totally bad, but the CD changer would fail after prolonged use and many years.

Also very interesting with the headrests, yes I thought they'd all be the same colour. Never seen this kind of colour mix and match. Doesn't quite work IMO.

Whiteshark68

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II
Afaik the statesman headunits are the same as all berlina and calais headunits as long as it is a 6 stack it should be the same.
pov packs came out with a single disk headunit that is not compatible with higher spec vehicles

H

harrop.senator

Just did some comparisons, yes it does appear the previous owner replaced the original unit with the poverty pack headunit - the head units that came in the Statesman's & Caprices didn't normally go totally bad, but the CD changer would fail after prolonged use and many years.

Also very interesting with the headrests, yes I thought they'd all be the same colour. Never seen this kind of colour mix and match. Doesn't quite work IMO.

CD players gone in mine won't eject or load if it is currently empty haha.

Na it definitely doesn't work. I've had cream leather in a Calais before and it had the leather rear of head rests.

But I'm fairly certain I've got the black suede on the rear of my statesman headrests at home. I can check later but I know that it's for different material in a few places that look like that.