Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2005 V6 Vz running rough

Farm4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Executive wagon
Need some help. My alternator has died and draining the battery so I have to disconnect it every time I park up. Replacing that today to remove that problem. The issue is when I went to work yesterday it ran fine with not an issue but on the way home I went to accelerate from 70 to 100 and the check powertrain came up and started to run really rough. Continued to run rough even at idle but managed to limp it home where it sits now. My mechanic friend thinks maybe the transmission module. Could it be this or something easier like plugs or coils or similar. Any help appreciated before I start throwing $$ at it

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
If "Check Powertrain" came up have you had it scanned for codes?

Reactions: Lex

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Buy a new alternator.

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Need some help. My alternator has died and draining the battery so I have to disconnect it every time I park up. Replacing that today to remove that problem. The issue is when I went to work yesterday it ran fine with not an issue but on the way home I went to accelerate from 70 to 100 and the check powertrain came up and started to run really rough. Continued to run rough even at idle but managed to limp it home where it sits now. My mechanic friend thinks maybe the transmission module. Could it be this or something easier like plugs or coils or similar. Any help appreciated before I start throwing $$ at it
If you have a 4 spd auto, they dont have a tcm.

Farm4life

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Executive wagon
If you have a 4 spd auto, they dont have a tcm.
It is 4spd auto. I've started it again this morning and still running rough with a light popping sound coming from the exhaust

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Is your battery over 4 or 5 years old?