Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

/// 2006 Giant DH COMP

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
and these:

dzrMinnashoereview-1.jpg

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
What sort of shoes are they ari?

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
DZR minnas:
dzr_minna.jpg

can walk on the floor with much reduced "clack clack clack" but i had to take the angle grinder to sections of them to go with the crank bro's pedals cos i couldnt get them to clip.

whole idea is they are flats in case i need to step out for a corner and whatnot, i can pedal without being clipped, whereas the old shimano's were basically "if the foot isnt clipped, that foot is useless". there have been many times ive shat-it cos ive not been clipped. especially down "boulder" at YY's. all my buds seem to stop at the fkn top which is annoying cos i need to go back and get a runup while i clip.

these means i can do drops without being locked.

does that make sense? ive had beers

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Lol the first and probably last time anyone will take an angle grinder to a pair of shoes.
Only ridden with clips once and was weird as for me, so these wouldn't be bad if I started riding properly.

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
man there should be a mtb thread on here, didn't realise there was so many riders

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Only ridden with clips once and was weird as for me, so these wouldn't be bad if I started riding properly.

once youve ridden clips youll never go back.

even riding with the Shimanos, id never unclip, only when coming to a complete stop. cornering was a bit reduced cos' you cant stick your foot out to get angle, but over big jumps... mate, having your feet locked means your very very very rarely gonna fk a landing. and landing on a jump is pretty important.

but the single best thing about clips is rockgardens. when your bike/feet/pedals are shaking round and you feel like your teeth are gonna chatter out of your skull, youll always know your feet are planted, you can stick your heel right down and just hold-the-fk-on. dropping your heels with most flats over rocky stuff means youll lose your feet and end up chinning the bar. which isnt fun at all.

anyway i have 2 spare sets of SPD pedals, a set of 43 shoes with cleats and a set of spare cleats for anyone who wants to come play and try out if they like it or not.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
Lol the first and probably last time anyone will take an angle grinder to a pair of shoes.

teva 5.10 shoes. that plus good pedals = just like clipped in.
I currently run a set of Lotek Fader shoes and they grip amazingly to the Blackspire pedals or Nukeproof pedals.

also Jest, ive got a spare set of flat pedals with me tomorrow. you can give them a crack if you like.

will be interesting to see how you go on some of these tracks :p
Boulder would be a good start with Ari's favourite rock and all

and don't get into all the hype of Clips are better blah blah blah.
if you don't learn how to ride flats very well then clips wont do jack all.
ive seen it a bit at BMX, a lot of kids want them because everyone else has them.
the good parents say no. and those kids go on to learn the skills soo much better.
then when they do go clips they are just amazingly better because they know all the skills from flats.
whereas the kids that went clips never learnt the same skills properly.

and Ari. Cressys isn't a rockgarden :p
Maldon's Downhill track. that's a good track for rocks
also more then happy to have the bike go one way and you the other.
happened twice so far this year to me for good crashes.
BMX, was playing about and still managed to lift the rear enough to go A over on flats. no need for clips when you have good pedals and a bit of skill :p
DH at Baw Baw. Jeep track. so happy not to go down with the bike in that part. less pain that way

so basically its this.
Clips are only worth it if you have the skills built up for them.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
no ****? can you pull your foot up and the pedal comes with it?

wow! fk gravity and newtons laws then!!!

if almost everyone who doesn't ride clips wears them and everywhere else on the web people are praising them as they do, plus a lot of the pro riders wear them they must be doing something right :p
especially when everyone says it feels like they are clipped in.
and pfft lifting up the pedal. push down with the other one :thumbsup:
but yes I can do it on my bike. no clips can lift the pedal up.
pedal on a bit of an angle with good spikes and good shoes.

as I said, clips are only worth it if you have built up the skills from riding flats.
Prime Example (happens a lot at BMX) kids want to have clips. then they only learn skills from said clips like jumping. their skills are nowhere near as good as the kids who learnt all of it on flats then went to clips later on.

all in all if you enjoy clips then ride in them.
if you don't, then stick with flats.
it is what you feel comfortable with.

for the record. I don't hate against clips.
I just think people misunderstand their use and the building blocks behind them.
and that's not just me, it is a lot of people and coaches out there. which for the record. I am accredited as one of them :p

so jest offers open. ive got a fair set of spare flat pedals you can give a crack today.