Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2006 VZ Commodore Ute - Check Powertrain Issue

Jordan Bennett

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Commodore Ute (Thunder)
Afternoon All,

I just recently purchased a 2006 VZ commodore ute V6 (Thunder). I took it on its first trip from Warrnambool to Geelong over the weekend. It ran like a dream it was comfortable plenty of power for overtaken and so nice to drive. I was so happy with my purchase you couldn't keep the smile of my face.

I drove it around Geelong all weekend with any dramas but on my way home yesterday it came up with the "Check Powertrain" fault on the dash and started running rough.

So to give you some details on what lead up to this:
1. I was on the free way in 6th gear (manual by the way) and had the cruise set to 102km\h.
2. Was purring along like a kitten sitting on about 1900 rpm.
3. started to head up a hill and when the revs started to drop it failed to accelerate and that's when the warning popped up and it started running rough.
4. pulled over and it was idling rough. I turned the car off left if foe 30 seconds and restarted with fine and the warning along with the little orange engine light were gone and the system check said all OK.
5. Keep driving under the same conditions as above with cruise on and the same thing happened again.
6. Repeated the process above only this time the warning light stayed on.
7. Keep driving and all was fine (apart for the engine light on) vent to overtake someone and was doing 115km\h in 6th gear and the "check Powertrain" came up again and the engine light started flashing.
8. I pulled over and restated the car and all was fine to get back to Warrnambool.
9. Started the car this morning and the warning came up again put its running fine.
10. Also you can give it plenty of revs right up to 4th gear without a problem.

Can anyone offer any advise on this? I was so devastated when this happened because I love the ute and hope this isn't a major problem.

I have order a WiFi Diagnostic Scanner from Ebay to see what fault codes come back. I will supply theses condes once available.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

Blocked cats
Injector failure
Fuel at low pressure
Oxygen sensor failure
Coil pack failure
Iats failure
Chain slip
Input shaft speed not matching output shaft

These are only a few codes i can remember that are thrown under the check powertrain error.

You need the proper indepth code to properly fix the situation its way to broader error you'll throw to much money at it guessing.

Wats_in_a_name

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
As Harrop.Senator said it would be recommended to get a scan done first. When I had the "Check Powertrain" warning come up it turned out to be a dodgy injector and an easy $200 fix. But others on this forum have had the "Check Powertrain" warning come up and had a range of different problems.

TheWade

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Crewman
I had similar symptoms on my crewman it turned out to be the Crank Angle Sensor, it would run fine for weeks then bang it'd run rough no power etc. However best to use the scan first because it also comes up with misfire detected, blocked injector and a whole host of others.