Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2009 VE SS - P1516 - Safety Mode Nightmare.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Anyone have an SS that had safety mode kick in constantly? If you actually found the issue what was it?

I have a mafless tune etc, and I have had safety mode for like 20,000kms on and off, lately....... been getting worse. Comes and goes, can go weeks without an issue and then suddenly be virtually undrivable randomly.

Throttle body is clean....... no corrosion on plug..... Even monitored all the voltages...... generally look OK for the pedal and tps going back and forth, ignition voltage ok, alternator charging ok....

I figure I will do the following:

1. Wire tug test to see if any to the tac module are broken.
2. Ground checks on the back of the motor as suggested.
3. Inspect wiring under steering wheel and surrounding grounds.
4. Check transmission harness plug which apparently can come loose?

Maybe its just the throttle body itself, but if so....... I raise a concern on OTR intakes then........ if people have had safety mode how many have OTR's = more chance of water in the throttle body perhaps. I only have 130k on the car with reg servicing, new battery...... just replaced a failed injector recently (2nd since i got the car).

My issue is it seems to have a runaway idle..... eg. going up a hill or part load the throttle wont fall back to the idle spot off throttle, it just goes into safety mode....... can do it anywhere, randomly. I can tell when its coming the car starts playing up......

Im currently running the stock tune to see if any diff, no go still does it........ I have been chasing this issue now for over a year almost. So if anyones had it what did you do to fix it? Replacing a throttle body seems obserd at my km range.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
otr won't have anything to do with it, is either tune related or they did have throttle body issues with some so could be that, any codes come up..?

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Just the P1516 throttle actuator performance........ Its not tune related.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I have checked the TPS wiring, the grounds, around the dash etc, the transmission wiring.... I cannot find a damn thing wrong. Drove to work. Safety mode like 10 times... So I will replace the throttle body since it's the only thing constantly throwing a code......

If it's that I will be gobsmacked. I'm also going to replace all my injectors since two have died in the space of like 50,000km's.

cewing

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SWAGON
You're up for a new throttle body mate. The sensor which monitors the throttle position must be playing up.
Open her up and check if the valve blade is silver or gold.
If it's gold you're in luck, they're all over ebay. If it's silver(I'm guessing it is like mine) then they are still around. They are not interchangeable.
The gasket should last the life of the car, just take care.
I'm probably breaking rules but this will probably fit Holden Commodore Throttle Body 6 0 VE V8 Type 08 06 08 10 06 07 08 09 10 | eBay
Should probably point out I know **** about mechanics, but this is what I've learned from helpful members of this forum.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Sure enough replaced the throttle body, fixed the issue. In future I will take the error code for what it is. Problem solved.