Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

200Wrms into 60-80Wrms speakers..

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
Hey there,

First and foremost, I did search about overpowering speakers and have found that it is a good idea to pump in a bit more juice than rated. What I couldn't find however is how much power is too much..

I'm looking at upgrading my sound system and want to have a four channel amp running a pair of splits and a pair of 6x9s (not a fan of subs). I've found an amp that puts out 4 x 200Wrms @ 4 ohms for a good price, it's a Boss PH4.500 (Any reviews while I'm here? :p). My problem is that I'm having trouble finding speakers anywhere near that power rating. Is it safe to run that much power into speakers that are around the 60Wrms and 80Wrms mark, or am I better off getting an amp a bit less powerful?

I've only just started looking into car audio and this will be my first time buying any audio equipment besides a head unit, so any help is appreciated.

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Run less gain you will be fine. Boss is OK I guess.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
I used to not be a fan of subs, then I bought one. I will never have a car without on again lol

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
Run less gain you will be fine. Boss is OK I guess.

Okay sounds good. Thanks. At the end of the day as long as it works and works well I'll be happy.

I used to not be a fan of subs, then I bought one. I will never have a car without on again lol

Yeah, I guess it is just personal preference. I can appreciate why people like them but I just don't think it'd suit my day to day listening.

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
Haha algood, running a bigger amp then your speakers is better. Having an amp or head deck up loud sends a clipped signal to your speakers, this can stuff them.

Admiral_Awesome

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive Series II
Haha algood, running a bigger amp then your speakers is better. Having an amp or head deck up loud sends a clipped signal to your speakers, this can stuff them.

So as long as I watch my gain I should be alright?

Jonah 101

Undefined
Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 Skyline
So as long as I watch my gain I should be alright?

Yeh, you will know when its too loud because the speakers will distort lol search the forums, I have read a few threads about how to set speakers up.

Does your amp have a HPF (high pass filter)? It quite handy to use it if you do. no need to pump like 60Hz through a speaker that cant handle it.

If you want to know anymore you will need to talk to someone more knowledgeable than me though.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
its Boss.

it has 50amps worth of fuses, the ReSponse 4x100watt amp as a comparison, has 90amps worth of fuses.

you only get out what you put in!