Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 SV6 Sportswagon timing chain issue

pud141

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Sportswagon
Hi all. I have a 2010 SV6 Sportswagon with 70,000 kms. I missed my 60,000 km service and have just had it done a year late. As a result the dealership said this could cause major issues in the future and could mean the timing chains need replaced but based on the service it all looked ok. The next day the check engine light has gone on. I called them and they said that's not a good sign and they seem to be preparing me for the worst case scenario. I really don't trust them due to the way the guy made out as if I had doomed the car to the scrap heap just because I'd missed a service. He wants me to take it back to have a look. The car runs OK, no noise coing from the engine etc so I just dont want to be ripped off. To top it off my knowledge on anything car related is terrible so any advice offered would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Paul

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
It all depends on what the code is.

The Alloytecs are quite sensitive to service intervals and it's really luck of the draw as to if it's going to have an issue or not.

The issue with missing a service and then servicing is that you can end up dislodging sludge which can then work its way to different locations where it can cause issues.

Best case if you're not confident is to take the vehicle to a different mechanic who has a computer capable of scanning the ECU.

Be advised though that the more it's driven with an issue may increase the damage being done.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
I had an 09 SIDI SV6 that had check engine light come on some time ago. At the time I was driving from Sydney to Brisbane, normally I used 91 fuel in the SV6, I filled at Macksville (about 1/2 way to Brisbane), but there was no 91 at that servo, I put E10 in it. All was good until I got to Tweed Heads, stopped there for a while and not long after I was going again check engine came on. I was going to book it into Holden dealer in Brisbane, but they were booked out for week. The service desk dude suggesting filling it with premium. I was down to 1/2 a tank by then, so I filled with '98, then I think it was next day that the light went out. I cancelled the Holden visit so it was never scanned. I had the same problem recur quite a while later and again filled with premium and again a while later light goes out. If you run it on lower grade fuel try premium. As the dealer told it is very bad to let the servicing go on these, the service interval is already at 15,000 Km intervals and having it run for 25,000 Km with no oil change is bad. The engines are prone to sludging and this can restrict oil galleries and then parts of the engine don't get proper lubrication. I also had a 06 Lancer wagon 2.4 that was prone to the engine light coming on, but run on premium the light would go out - again not immediately after filling but in a day or so later.

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
Ditto about the 25K but I think everybody should have an OBD reader ;-) Engine light can mean anything. A non-trustworthy dealer might take advantage of a code that has nothing to do with the repairs he wants to charge you, but maybe I'm being paranoid.

pud141

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Sportswagon
Thanks for the advice, we were using premium then changed to lower grade stuff so I wonder if that has contributed. I think I'll just take it to another mechanic as I just got a bad feeling about the guy at the dealership. Fingers crossed there's not a major issue!

phillmac

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Sportswagon 2011
Not that you would trust them. But as all they do is oil change at service he may have noticed evidence of the dredded sludge which has killed some un serviced motors of this type. Too late to use cleaners and good oil as that's when the bearing can spin and it's all over.