Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Timing chain issue

VE Intl 2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International 2010
I have recently had the timing chain replaced on my VE Commodore International 2010 model. The mechanic replaced with a full genuine kit from Holden. Car drove perfectly for three weeks until the engine just stopped whilst driving, doing about 20-30 kms. No real “grinding or metal on metal” noise that I could tell. There was no error or code messages on the dash. Once stopped, didn’t try to start it. I had the car towed back to the mechanic. He tried to start it resulting in the engine doing nothing - dash lights and accessories lit up as per normal, but engine does not engage or turn over.

The car was dropped of of Thursday, Mechanic has been looking into it since Friday and hopefully some more info today.

I have been pouring over previous threads/posts on here to get some ideas, but I thought I’d throw out a fresh post.

Any help/tips, ideas would be appreciated.

Last edited:

uglyoldfatbastard

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6, 2010 International, 1996 VS Exec
Hard to tell without actually going back over the work performed what could be the issue. Just hope your mechanic is a stand up guy that backs up his work if it is something he did that caused the issue.

Your engine is the LF1 if it is series 1 2010 International or it could be the LFW if it is a series 2 as both made in 2010.
The good news is there is plenty of low km LFW engines out there that fit straight in if the engine has failed so it can be fixed.
Yes the LF1 can be replaced with a LFW - done it twice and no issues.
2012 onwards LFW have different injectors and the ECU needs a tweak but if you did go down that path you could express post me your ECU and will patch and send back just for the cost of postage as it is a very easy job.

VE Intl 2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore International 2010
Hard to tell without actually going back over the work performed what could be the issue. Just hope your mechanic is a stand up guy that backs up his work if it is something he did that caused the issue.

Your engine is the LF1 if it is series 1 2010 International or it could be the LFW if it is a series 2 as both made in 2010.
The good news is there is plenty of low km LFW engines out there that fit straight in if the engine has failed so it can be fixed.
Yes the LF1 can be replaced with a LFW - done it twice and no issues.
2012 onwards LFW have different injectors and the ECU needs a tweak but if you did go down that path you could express post me your ECU and will patch and send back just for the cost of postage as it is a very easy job.
Ok, thanks for the info.

Have you got a business number or email I can contact you directly on?

cheers