Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2010 ve sv6 service charging system

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That part number looks to be the high end VE alternator, for WM, Calais and SV6 SIDI, so I think it's original.
Just depends how you want to spend your money, on new parts or on diagnosis by a sparky. I usually go for new parts if I suspect that's the problem then you get a new alt at the cheapest price. Might turn out to be something else though, then you have to pay twice but you still get to keep the new alt Which should keep you going another 10 years.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
Alternately to get error codes checked, Supercheap seems pretty good (only about $15 I think), got to book ahead, can't just rock up and ask for the check.

redvxr8clubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Clubsport R8 & VE SS
By the way, Central Coast could be anywhere within Australia. Perhaps a bit more specific with your location e.g. State (WA, QLD, SA, TAS etc) could be beneficial when members are suggesting/offering advice etc.

Benboy I'd say NSW, Central Coast is between Sydney and Newcastle.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Has it rained recently or have you washed car?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
A dying alternator wouldn't cause this kind of issue as the car can still run without the alternator too, as long as the battery is still charged (that wouldn't run for too long but it would still run). On the other hand, a dying battery could cause all kinds of ECU issues, but you said you replaced it. Did you replace it with a brand new one? If yes, that would eliminate a battery issue.

From there, I'd start reading the code but the alternator is very unlikely the cause (I replaced mine recently as I was getting alternator warnings and low voltage when charging and I can tell your 14.7V is pretty good).

Richy238

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Ve Commodore Sv6
yeah i did buy a brand new battery and yeah i changed alternator stills does it. First check engine warning comes on 30 seconds later service charging system then the engine chugs after 20 seconds it dies. Once i disconnect the battery for 5 minutes drives like nothing happened so strange. Would a stretched timing belt cause this?

Capsule

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY09 VE Omega
yeah i did buy a brand new battery and yeah i changed alternator stills does it. First check engine warning comes on 30 seconds later service charging system then the engine chugs after 20 seconds it dies. Once i disconnect the battery for 5 minutes drives like nothing happened so strange. Would a stretched timing belt cause this?

Well, the truth lies in the error code, just read it.

Richy238

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Ve Commodore Sv6
yeah ill get it checked does it keep the codes on log if the battery has been disconnected?

Richy238

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Ve Commodore Sv6
Hi All apparently was the terminals on the battery its self were loose? I'm not convinced picking it up in an hour. They said its all good now. But how could that be with 2 different batteries?