Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2012 Equipe - Brake warning

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hi all. I have been getting a Brake warning message on start up the last few days. Some days it goes off after a few minutes and some days it stays. I read in the workshop manual that this can mean a low brake fluid level or an issue with the ABS. The brake fluid is full so I'm thinking ABS. Unfortunately this message doesn't trigger any code that my OBD can read. Apart from connecting to a Tech 2 is there any other way for me to know what is triggering this warning?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It might be due to the brake fluid having too much moisture in it, or being old fluid, which would require changing.

Have you checked the brake pad depth? Low brake pad depth might be the issue.

So a couple of things to check

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If it was ABS related then a code would show up and ABS light will show, could be a simple as a sensor gone bad or loose wire, you can get your fluid tested, like VC said look at your brake pads to see how much is left.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
commodores aren't that smart
low fluid is monitored
contaminated fluid and low brake pads are not monitored
most likely wiring to rear abs sensor

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
low fluid is monitored
Thanks all for the comments. Yes, I had thoughts pads, which are a little low, but then confirmed that there is no sensor for these on the VE. I'm going to drop it into the local mechanic during the week as I think it needs a proper scan to confirm what the issue is. I had hoped that I could scan it but as it's not generating any codes I'm out of luck!

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
low fluid is monitored
He never said ABS light, no codes were showing up for ABS, I read somewhere if water gets in around the ABS sensor could make the light come on, some electrical tape will fix that if its to do with water.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
prob the 2 wire sensor at the bottom of the brake fluid reservoir it uses resistance and can go out of range and not show any codes but just bring on the light in the dash, its hard to test as on open circuit or dead short both bring on the light, from memory it needs between 3k ohms and 7k ohms to not show the fault, as a test u could unplug it and connect the terminals in plug with a 5k ohm (5000 ohm) resistor and it should remove the light then u know if its at fault or not, im pretty sure on the resistance values but was a while ago when i fixed one (holden couldnt diagnose it so sent to us as thought it was a dash issue)

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Thanks all. To further muddy the water, I find if I park on a hill, nose down, leave the car for an hour or so and come back, the message is gone. Possibly unrelated but quite unusual and this can be replicated every time. Its going into a local mechanic later in the week so I'll update this thread when I have confirmation of what the issue is.

mikeryantipp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Hi all. I took the car to a local mechanic and, of course, the warning light disappeared as I arrived at the garage. The mechanic then scanned all systems and didn't find any error codes. He is at a loss as to what it may be. As the warning returned again this morning, I think I will try 07GTS's method of plugging in a 5K resistor to confirm that the reservoir sensor is at fault.

If it is, is it easy to change the reservoir and do the brakes need to be bled after? If its in anyway tricky, I will get the mechanic to do it.