Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2014 VF V8 engine noise - Zupps say its ok...???

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
There are a couple of bulletins out relating to noise on L77's in VF1. One relates to a chirpy type resonance noise and the other is that a small amount of piston slap is within engineering specs (tolerances of piston to bore are designed to be correct when warm/at operating temperature).

You probably need the second opinion, but LS motors are noisy. They've been that way for the ~18 years they've been in Commodores and it isn't going to change. If it's not clattering or badly chirping from the valvetrain and it's not loudly knocking from the bottom end it's fine.

Happy to have a look if you're ever inland a bit from Bris.
I am interested in whats considered OK, the chirping is loudish

I do work in Toowoomba and Warwick
Where are you located?

Tro

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Please tell me it was Zupps Aspley giving you **** service
Browns plains

I guess I need a second opinion

My VS 5ltr had some work done and rev'ed hard, but was always smooth and no such noises

Tro

wombat tow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ss sedan
I have noise also when cold, but quietens down later on.
I checked the oil this afternoon and its down to the low point so ill top it up and if it continues ill be visiting the dealer before my warranty finishes

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Now they are trying to charge me for the map upgrade, when I have been hold its free from customer service and also insurance service dept

Anyone had to pay for the upgrade while under warranty?????

Might be finding a new service department!!!!

Tro

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
Now they are trying to charge me for the map upgrade, when I have been hold its free from customer service and also insurance service dept

Anyone had to pay for the upgrade while under warranty?????

Might be finding a new service department!!!!

Tro

I would like to think it is but on Holden's website it's advertised as $126 with a service or $179 without. It should be free lifetime map updates.

https://m.holden.com.au/owning/servicing

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
I would like to think it is but on Holden's website it's advertised as $126 with a service or $179 without. It should be free lifetime map updates.

https://m.holden.com.au/owning/servicing
Agree, however under warranty they have advised me it is free

I have this in an email, if they change their mind... where do I stand
I will never pay for an upgrade, I will install an aftermarket which will be 1000% better

Tro

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
My upgrade has been sorted and I should get a call over the next few days to confirm!

Holden customer care are great, they are also looking into the noise to provide some feedback etc

Feeling a little more at ease!

Tro

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
I am interested in whats considered OK, the chirping is loudish

I do work in Toowoomba and Warwick
Where are you located?

Tro

Hey mate, sorry about the delay on reply, have been away from internet for a bit. Have sent you a PM if you wish to take up the offer still.

Cheers :)

Tro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive - VF SS
Hey mate, sorry about the delay on reply, have been away from internet for a bit. Have sent you a PM if you wish to take up the offer still.

Cheers :)
Well the churping I was hearing kept getting louder, ended up being the harmonic balancer
Took a 30 second drive with Zupps mechanic, drove past a few stationary cars and it was louder than I have my radio (noise bouncing off the cars)

Waiting for a call back to replace the harmonic balancer and complete the map upgrade (once parts arrive i guess)

I also had a catch up with Monstar which put my mind at ease!
Has a wealth of knowledge and a really nice bloke! Thanks muchly!!!

Tro

vess09

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF R8 Clubsport
Had a balancer replaced on a S1 VE SS I had once, 6 mths later rear main seal had to be replaced, was told by my service mob at the instructions provided by Holden for replacement of a balancer was to inspect and replace rear main seal if their is a leak, it had been in 2 times prior for oil leaks from back of sump before the balancer was changed