Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2016 ssv redline sportwagon - Auto transmission slipping?

Hi9901973

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 ssv redline wagon
….not a great morning. The car is struggling to change between 3rd, 4th and 5th gears in sport and drive mode. Then after limping home it’s struggling to engage reverse and drive. Safely parked now. The car has done every log book service since purchase including transmission which was done 25000kms ago. Currently the car has done 180,000kms. Wondering what to do next….appreciate any advice from those in the know….

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Sounds like your transmission is fubar :mad:

Unfortunately there are known design weaknesses in the 6L80 transmission that do cause failure :(

And I doubt the above mentioned weaknesses are exhaustive.

Depending on build dates, maybe some have been addressed in manufacture of our VF’s but I wouldn’t be holding my breath every design defect was resolved…

IIRC the factory recommended transmission service interval is 150,000kms, or 75,000kms if the vehicle is operated in harsh conditions - city stop start driving is considered harsh. I can’t remember the time duration for the trans service but it’s a km or month type deal whichever comes first and it’s calculated from the day of first registration. (In my view, even the 75,000kms is far too long between good drink of new fluid). Holden does provides a small leeway of 3 months or I think 5,000kms (but that doesn’t change the subsequent service due date/kms…

Why do I mention this, well if you bought the car from a car dealer you may have Australian Consumer Law (ACL) on your side as transmissions are supposed to be durable and long lasting. And the way the law is written, no statutory warranty period is defines as it’s structured around what an average consumer would consider as being reasonable. In my view a reasonable consumer would expect that the transmission should last much longer than 7 years or 180,000kms.

Given that Holden also sold some VF commodores with 3, 5 or 7 year warranties, there is some scope to argue that Holden should cover the full repair costs under their voluntary warranty since it would cover some so why not your ownership, especially as ACL would cover you anyway… In such cases, Holden likes to call such goodwill…

One problem re ACL/Goodwill claim may be that you didn’t service it within Holdens allotted distance or timeframe since the transmission was serviced at 155,000 which may be 5,000kms too late (or late on time basis).. And that would especially be the case if Holden now considers your vehicle was operated in a harsh environment. Interestingly I drive in city stop start traffic and no dealer from any manufacturer has ever informed me that I must service more regularly.

I only mentions such so you can develop counter arguments when/if you discuss an ACL statutory warranty claim with your selling dealer.

Obviously Holden will try and squirm out of any warranty costs (be they ACL stat warranty, factory warranty or good will) so you’ll have to argue and maybe even go to VCAT.

Only you can decide how much chasing warranty is worth to you… but doing a correct and full rebuild to address all defects may be rather costly…

If you bought it privately, ACL doesn’t apply so repair costs will fall on you.

Given the above, as a first sanity check, it may be worth looking for transmission fluid leaks and checking the current transmission fluid level (which is a PITA to do since these cars don’t have dipsticks).

The following thread talks of transmission fluid changes and how to check correct fluid level..

Good luck with it and let us know how you go with this issue.

Hi9901973

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 ssv redline wagon
Sounds like your transmission is fubar :mad:

Unfortunately there are known design weaknesses in the 6L80 transmission that do cause failure :(

[/URL]

And I doubt the above mentioned weaknesses are exhaustive.

Depending on build dates, maybe some have been addressed in manufacture of our VF’s but I wouldn’t be holding my breath every design defect was resolved…

IIRC the factory recommended transmission service interval is 150,000kms, or 75,000kms if the vehicle is operated in harsh conditions - city stop start driving is considered harsh. I can’t remember the time duration for the trans service but it’s a km or month type deal whichever comes first and it’s calculated from the day of first registration. (In my view, even the 75,000kms is far too long between good drink of new fluid). Holden does provides a small leeway of 3 months or I think 5,000kms (but that doesn’t change the subsequent service due date/kms…

Why do I mention this, well if you bought the car from a car dealer you may have Australian Consumer Law (ACL) on your side as transmissions are supposed to be durable and long lasting. And the way the law is written, no statutory warranty period is defines as it’s structured around what an average consumer would consider as being reasonable. In my view a reasonable consumer would expect that the transmission should last much longer than 7 years or 180,000kms.

Given that Holden also sold some VF commodores with 3, 5 or 7 year warranties, there is some scope to argue that Holden should cover the full repair costs under their voluntary warranty since it would cover some so why not your ownership, especially as ACL would cover you anyway… In such cases, Holden likes to call such goodwill…

One problem re ACL/Goodwill claim may be that you didn’t service it within Holdens allotted distance or timeframe since the transmission was serviced at 155,000 which may be 5,000kms too late (or late on time basis).. And that would especially be the case if Holden now considers your vehicle was operated in a harsh environment. Interestingly I drive in city stop start traffic and no dealer from any manufacturer has ever informed me that I must service more regularly.

I only mentions such so you can develop counter arguments when/if you discuss an ACL statutory warranty claim with your selling dealer.

Obviously Holden will try and squirm out of any warranty costs (be they ACL stat warranty, factory warranty or good will) so you’ll have to argue and maybe even go to VCAT.

Only you can decide how much chasing warranty is worth to you… but doing a correct and full rebuild to address all defects may be rather costly…

If you bought it privately, ACL doesn’t apply so repair costs will fall on you.

Given the above, as a first sanity check, it may be worth looking for transmission fluid leaks and checking the current transmission fluid level (which is a PITA to do since these cars don’t have dipsticks).

The following thread talks of transmission fluid changes and how to check correct fluid level..

[/URL]

Good luck with it and let us know how you go with this issue.
Thanks for the information I will give it a thorough read before I do anything. I got the car off a dealer with 2000 on the clock. Did service through Holden until warranty ended - I like your idea about voluntary warranties btw. The car has been a highway vehicle other than on windy roads and I wouldn’t have thought I’m driving it beyond it’s design, the transmission sounds like another matter all together I guess.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
First thing I'd do is check the transmission fluid level.
They hate it when they are low, and it's a relatively easy thing to check.
Perhaps not quite as easy as it once was though.
Which is why I said the following at the bottom of my post…

Given the above, as a first sanity check, it may be worth looking for transmission fluid leaks and checking the current transmission fluid level

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
… Did service through Holden until warranty ended - I like your idea about voluntary warranties btw. The car has been a highway vehicle…
Just to be clear, voluntary warrant is the legal jargon for factory warranty.

It was odd that Holden didn’t just increase their factory warranty to 7 years and be done with it so they were consistent towards their customers. Instead over the last handful of years, Holden had 3 year warranty, then 5, then back to 3, then 3 or 5 and threw in free servicing, then 5 then 7… That’s not the actual sequence as I’m channeling Holden warranty indecisiveness as it was all over the place.

I think one or two times they even through in 1st years comp insurance (which for some may have been a $3k saving because I don’t remember it being conditional or limited $ wise).

But Holdens voluntary warranty duration indecisiveness is an avenue to use during
goodwill/ACL stat warranty claims… Just hope you were reasonably prudent with service post warranty and that you have all receipts for the service work. Its always much easier (if that’s even a thing with Holden warranty claims) if you always serviced at a dealer as Holden has all records, but just keep in mind that (in theory) they can’t deny warranty because you serviced at a 3rd party garage…

Good luck and let us know how you progress.

PS: don’t forget the simplest thing to check initially is trans fluid level is correct and it it’s not the question should be where has it gone? If the previous trans service didn’t tighten some fitting correctly, I’d not be tightening it and toping up. Rather, if that was the case I’d be on the phone to them about their potential screw up that they need to fix (which includes fully assessing if any internal damage has occurred within the transmission which crud in the pan should highlight).