Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2017 Chevy SS King Springs Magnetic Ride

Aussie Dors

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Chevrolet SS
G'day All,

I'm an Aussie living in Florida for the past 20 years. Sold my 2009 Pontiac G8 GT and purchased a 2017 Chevy SS. Silver Ice Metallic. License plate is 'AUS E'. Love it!

I have been looking at lowering the car with some King Springs. On the SSForums.com website there's 47 pages of confusion as to which Springs to use with the MRC suspension.

An email from King Springs states they recommend the KHRL-152SLMAG for the rear and KHFL-151SL for the front. This set up won't effect the MRC they say.

I can't find the rear Springs on their website.

A search on Sparesbox website does find those exact springs for an extra $20.

Can anyone confirm there is a different spring for the MRC suspension? Plenty of Chevy guys state there is no difference between KHRL-151SL and KHRL-151SLMAG

Can anyone recommend a spring set up for a conservative drop on the VFII? I don't need it slammed. I had Pedders coilovers on the G8 and switched out to Tein Springs near the end. King states a 20 to 25 mm drop on their recommendation.

Where is the best place to buy King Springs? My Dad is coming over for Christmas so I might have him lug them over!

I appreciate your response. Cheers.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Hi mate,
Send a PM to member @PSISLE. He has just fitted Kings to his Director and will be happy to assist.

Aussie Dors

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Chevrolet SS
Thank you. I have now done that.
Cheers

MY17DIR

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 LE Director....
Aussie Dors, I have just been through all this myself. Thanks to (PSISLE), one of his mates and my own trial and error i believe I have it sorted now.
Dont bother talking to Kings, they have no idea on what works and what doesnt, i tried that.
The chevy guys are wrong, there is infact a difference between SLMAGVF springs and SL. The lower end design of the springs are different, SLMAGVF is machined flat and SL springs are just the normal wound coil end similar to the oem springs, although not wound for a full circumference in the first wind like the oem springs.
The SL spring although not wound as nicely at the end like the oem spring, once compressed it sits nice on the lower rubber for the shock and i cant see any reason at all why they cant be used.
I originally had SLs in the front and SLMAGVF fitted in the back by my local harrop dealer. It sat way too low in the back, about 30mm lower than the front and looked wrong...
So i bit the bullet, ordered some SL springs for the back and after some great tips got them fitted up myself yesterday.
I think its now going to be exactly what i want, sits at a very similar travel/height to the front, if not a little bit higher which is how i want it. Should look like a similar balance front to back like the cars do oem just a little bit lower.
Havent had a chance to get it out yet as its been pissing down rain but will get some pics when i do.

Heres a pic of the 3 different spring end designs
Resized_20171202_180511_9814.jpeg

Last edited:

Aussie Dors

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Chevrolet SS
That is great information. Thank you. Hopefully you can add some photos of your car with OEM, SLMAG and SL springs installed and some height measurements.
Where did you buy them? Harrops; or did they just do the install?
Alignment afterwards?
Did you retune the suspension? (can’t think of the correct term right now but it’s when you loosen several bushings/bolts after installing the springs and put weight back on the vehicle and then retighten the bolts)

Thanks again

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Aussie Dors, I have just been through all this myself. Thanks to callum (PSISLE) Ray and my own trial and error i believe I have it sorted now.
Dont bother talking to Kings, they have no idea on what works and what doesnt, i tried that.
The chevy guys are wrong, there is infact a difference between SLMAGVF springs and SL. The lower end design of the springs are different, SLMAGVF is machined flat and SL springs are just the normal wound coil end similar to the oem springs, although not wound for a full circumference in the first wind like the oem springs.
The SL spring although not wound as nicely at the end like the oem spring, once compressed it sits nice on the lower rubber for the shock and i cant see any reason at all why they cant be used.
I originally had SLs in the front and SLMAGVF fitted in the back by my local harrop dealer. It sat way too low in the back, about 30mm lower than the front and looked wrong...
So i bit the bullet, ordered some SL springs for the back and after some great tips from Ray got them fitted up myself yesterday.
I think its now going to be exactly what i want, sits at a very similar travel/height to the front, if not a little bit higher which is how i want it. Should look like a similar balance front to back like the cars do oem just a little bit lower.
Havent had a chance to get it out yet as its been pissing down rain but will get some pics when i do.

Heres a pic of the 3 different spring end designs
View attachment 196373
Lol told you so

Aussie Dors

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Chevrolet SS
Thank you both. I have seen a photo of PSISLE’s car with the SSL springs in the rear and SL’s in the front.
Would love to see MY17DIR with the SL springs all round.
Would be a great comparison.

You think the ride height changes a little depending on what MRC setting you are in or no difference?

The boys over here on the SSForum are having a conversation about putting the HD Springs in the back because the extra stiffness when they have passengers. Perhaps this might be ok on SSSL’s for bottoming out but surely not needed otherwise?

Thoughts?

Aussie Dors

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 Chevrolet SS
FWIW my ride height is 660 mm from bottom rim to bottom of wheel well on all four corners. Within a mm or two.

I have the stock 19” Chevy SS wheels

H

harrop.senator

King springs are notoriously soft for aftermarket I go they're hd option every time.

MY17DIR

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 LE Director....
That is great information. Thank you. Hopefully you can add some photos of your car with OEM, SLMAG and SL springs installed and some height measurements.
Where did you buy them? Harrops; or did they just do the install?
Alignment afterwards?
Did you retune the suspension? (can’t think of the correct term right now but it’s when you loosen several bushings/bolts after installing the springs and put weight back on the vehicle and then retighten the bolts)

Thanks again

I bought my Sl's through sparesbox.

A harrop agent did the install first time with the SLMAGVF's, i did it the next time with Sl's in the back. I'm glad i did, as typical of anyone else working on your car they missed a couple of things and left one of the pins in the connector on the R/H MRC rear shock not fully pushed in....

Retune suspension? It has MRC4, i already have enough settings to play with lol. I tightened them in the correct sequence and made sure there was force upwards on the suspension when tightening them.

I will get another 4 wheel alignment done once ive had a chance to get it out and drive it a little bit.

Raining again today so no pics yet....

Thank you both. I have seen a photo of PSISLE’s car with the SSL springs in the rear and SL’s in the front.
Would love to see MY17DIR with the SL springs all round.
Would be a great comparison.

You think the ride height changes a little depending on what MRC setting you are in or no difference?

The boys over here on the SSForum are having a conversation about putting the HD Springs in the back because the extra stiffness when they have passengers. Perhaps this might be ok on SSSL’s for bottoming out but surely not needed otherwise?

Thoughts?

Each MRC setting has nothing do do with static ride height. Springs set ride height, not shock settings.

This is another reason why i didn't want to go too low in the back. It effects the balance and handling of the car. And will drag its arse with a couple of adults in the back and a bag or 2 in the boot. To be fair though, i will very rarely be driving it loaded like that.