Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 motor with 186 head?

R

rattattack1313

Yea...that is reversing the procedure, mate....making the compression area larger, putting that head on it....

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
I was thinking bout this and arnt the valves smaller? so what u gain in compression, u loose in breathing?

Anyway my plan is to go with a Red 253.

willi

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn standard
yep ratattack thats exactly what happened.but when your broke you will try anything.i think i filed the tappet pedistal down to because the red 202 has non adjustible tappets.dont try this with a [modern\better] motor

Dose Pipe

Reaction score
At the time of this post, under your mothers bed w
Members Ride
It's quicker then your mothers VN
186 and 202 heads have the same size valves so theres no point also theres no blue 186 so yeah if its a blue motor theres no point put a blue 173 head on it if its a blue or black motor also to put a red head on blue motor u have to drill the head out or the block out as water gallories dont line up perfectly

H

Hector martinez

also you have to remember the head gasket wont fit you will have to make the holes but that's minor

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
There's only one super important thing to do on a 9 port red 202, cut the bolt castings out of the heads ports!, use smaller head bolts with the head of the bolt on the floor of the port and plug the top!, monster power and potential 12 second quarter miles awaits anyone that does this in a light car

vzuterus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
It also changes the note heaps. If you listen closely, it sounds great

FCCOOL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore,VP 5.0 calais, 2x59 FC,
do you really want to increase your compression that way, the 12 port head on your car is better flowing than the red 9 port, it is more common to fit a 12 port to a red than a 9 port to a black or blue.
why not find a second hand 12 port head that has already had some porting and bigger valves and make the effort a little more worth while, you could end up otherwise with less power and more detonation on ulp.
Also you would need to get new extractors, carb, and inlet manifold if you went to the red head.
Remember street machine magazines "grunt hunt", the standard varijet gave more power than a holley and a holley will usually give more power than the earlier holden carbs so what carb would you run with the red head that is better than the varijet, maybe a 390 would work but they arent common and cheap, neither is the four barrel manifold.
the 149 heads mainly have advantage on red 202's not black & blue.

bangers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EL FALCON XR6
adox said:
I was thinking bout this and arnt the valves smaller? so what u gain in compression, u loose in breathing?

Anyway my plan is to go with a Red 253.

thats the way. go a v8, better then the old 202's. they're getting a bit long in the tooth. if you get a 253 just throw a 308 crank in it.