Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

202 timing

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
hey all hope all is well , jsut a quick question , with the 202 black motor what should the timing be set at ? i think its 6 degrees ? but just cant remember thanks in advance.

cheers
Brett

HSVKEV260R8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY1 HSV Clubsport R8 M6
brettyb2002 said:
hey all hope all is well , jsut a quick question , with the 202 black motor what should the timing be set at ? i think its 6 degrees ? but just cant remember thanks in advance.

cheers
Brett
From my experience in my early years with both Blue and Black motors, I usually set my timing for these motors to about 8 deg. This tends to make them more responsive than the factory recommended 6 set by Holden. For other handy tips on these maybe drop me a PM, I have many small hints on these to get as much power out of them without any outlay of cash, mainly cos of the crap Holden bolted to them in the name of Pollution Control.

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
timing

hey mate thanks for ur reply ! yea i set it at around 7 to 7.5 lol it hadnt been checked/done in a bit and it was up around 12 lol , no wonder it was pinging its head off ! :bang: had been meaning to do it but kept forgetting about it but now its all good back to normal again :) i also sent u a pm mate to chat some further thanks heaps. :thumbsup:

Cheers
Brett

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Personally when I set timing on a car I do it by ear or do a street tune on it when I keep advancing the timing until the engine begins to ping under load then back it off a little to stop it pinging.

Generally Its not a good idea to go removing polition gear etc from the engine as the car wont pass emission regulations, also the performance gains are so marginal if any.
Things like removing belts, removing the steel fan in favour of electrics all will improve performance but can have downside effects also.

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
vkberlina said:
Personally when I set timing on a car I do it by ear or do a street tune on it when I keep advancing the timing until the engine begins to ping under load then back it off a little to stop it pinging.

Generally Its not a good idea to go removing polition gear etc from the engine as the car wont pass emission regulations, also the performance gains are so marginal if any.
Things like removing belts, removing the steel fan in favour of electrics all will improve performance but can have downside effects also.

hey vkberlina how are u mate long time no chat :)

thanks for your reply :thumbsup: yea i set the timing to around 7 / 7.5 its running sweet now well for a stocker :D i still think it needs an 8 haha but shame i cant afford it at the moment , yes well since i put the electric fan on there its been great no more noisy clutch fan ! well its all about experimenting although i will more then definatly take ur advice ! but i think i might do the pollution suggestion anyway just for the experiance and take it for a strap and just see if i can notice the difference just for myself if its not worth getting in trouble for ill connect it all back up :) i dont mind been under a car bonnet learning some new things. thanks for your reply also was much appreciated.

Cheers
Brett

82VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore 202
Egr

On my 202 I just plugged the vacuum hose just as it comes out of the carby. It looks standard, if you pull on the diaphragm on the EGR is still stutters. To reverse it you just replace the hose or pull the plug out.

It did make it run noticeably better, but disabling the EGR makes it run leaner so you may need to tweak the mixture

brettyb2002

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk executive 1985
82VH said:
On my 202 I just plugged the vacuum hose just as it comes out of the carby. It looks standard, if you pull on the diaphragm on the EGR is still stutters. To reverse it you just replace the hose or pull the plug out.

It did make it run noticeably better, but disabling the EGR makes it run leaner so you may need to tweak the mixture

hey mate how are ya , some of this is kinda new to me , quick newb question what exactly is a EGR and where is it located ?

cheers
Brett

vks

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 vn 3.8 S pack
vk power

hey if u wouldnt mind would u be able 2 post a few tips on how 2 get some more power out of a 202,
thanx vks

82VH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore 202
Disabling EGR

Cons
- IT’S ILLEGAL
- it’s not environmentally friendly
- it makes the combustion burn a higher temp which can lead to pinking
- it makes the fuel / air mix leaner requiring a mixture change or larger jets

Pros
- it’s not using pre-burned gasses
- the older the motor the more gunk is sucked back in to the inlet manifold, compounding the problem
- it’s one less thing to play up
- It keeps the inlet manifold slightly cooler. There’s a small chamber inside the inlet manifold under the actual inlet track that the EGR gas passes through before getting to the intake

Having said all that, I disabled it, and it runs noticeably better

Attachments

• EGR_Blue_202_carb.jpg
    EGR_Blue_202_carb.jpg
    315.7 KB · Views: 2,369

pro_gmh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Yeh i beem lookin to buy one of those thermal vacuum switchs (the brown one)