Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 clean up

R

richo304

thanks everyone i will try the method of piston at top dead center and wire brush it and other areas ill spray with break cleaner and try it see how it goes,

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
Carbie cleaner, is the stuff to use but honestly leave it on there when you refit the heads get the engine warmed up and set RPM at 2500 & drop a bit of water down the throat of the carbie, the carbon will depart out the exhaust very quickly.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Brake cleaner does crap-all. You will spray and spray and spray but it wont get the really hard bits off. And the wire brush will be no hood inside the chambers cos it wont reach the tight corners. Your best bet is (like you say) wire brush iff the piston tops and use a small wire wheel on the drill for the chambers.

Or you can try it the hard way.

Ps these were done with the wire wheel:
292272_10150841598191402_1483084999_n.jpg

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Don't forget to stuff clean rags down the cylinders you have already cleaned.
If you get the compression right with the heads (machining)??? then you will notice a good improvement with all the carbon cleaned out.

R

richo304

yeh mate ive got the heads off and will be cleaning the stems also i will try and put up a photo when i work out how to do that,,,thanks again

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
R

richo304

yeh mate ill be replac the steem seals all gaskets water pump and all other bolt ons just need to use the motor to get the car rego and rwc and last till i build a carbie 304 just giveing it a good clean up so it doesnt leak any oil or blow any smoke the bores look good still have the cross hatching and no lines or grooves in them i have ran the motor before i pulled it apart and it seemed ok just had bad oil leeks from rocker gaskets and side of sump gasket,