Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 high idle

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I hate the thing, engine is great, carbu has given me nothing bit problems!
the fuel pump is nearly new, I would think if it had a split diaphragm it wouldn't rev, bit she has no problem revving or holding at high revs either, but you'd probably know more about it.

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
When I stop and pull the choke out, she idles fine
This should indicate you have a mixture issue. Idle is obviously lean (for the conditions) and pulling the choke on makes it rich enough to idle properly. Adjust your idle mixture to make it richer, 1/4 turn at a time until it will run smoothly without the choke will give you a ball park figure.

Holleys are great but they are buckets with a fuel tap on them as well. Rochestors are more difficult but are also more stable once tuned.

What makes this all that much more difficult is you don't have tools, tuning by ear isn't a good idea.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I've got a vacuum gauge, they say adjust up or down to get the highest vacuum reading, that's how I've done it

Guzzoline addict

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6
Bad fuel? ,have you put more fuel in after the stuff you siphoned?. Also if it is centre hung float holley check if the back of float is not fowling the float bowl and the float has no fuel in it.Also might be worth checking the filter at the float bowl.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Can you identify the type of engine in your Kingwood ? If your engine is a pre-emission (July 1976), your idle speed should be set at 500 to 600 rpm in drive for auto. If your engine was changed to a later emission control version (after June 1976), the idle speed is set at 625 -650 rpm in drive for auto. My HZ 253 (emission model) Isles at 650 rpm in drive and when you slot the Trans in park/neutral the rpm rises to 900rpm. You might also check your distributor timing as it varies with emission and pre-emission engines.

i reckon i would have to disagree with around.... 99% of this ^^^ the 1% i agree with is the use of full stops and commas. i also like that you have used open and closed brackets to refer to the years of before and after emissions.

well done on punctuation, you!!

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I've got a vacuum gauge, they say adjust up or down to get the highest vacuum reading, that's how I've done it

noooope. adjust up or down to the highest STABLE vacuum reading, in D with your partners foot on the brake. thats the kicker.

you can get 24 inches out of your engine, but it doesnt mean the tune is right. the needle needs to be stable and at it highest point. you can tell when you are getting closer and further away cos' your revs will be picking up at the same time. when the needle starts fluctuating and the revs dont go up, youve gone too far and go back a 1/16th of a turn and watch the vac guage for a few seconds.

i think it sounds like the mixtures

Aussie V8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC SL/E 308/T350. 1989 FJ75 Toyota Troopcarrier
noooope. adjust up or down to the highest STABLE vacuum reading, in D with your partners foot on the brake. thats the kicker.

you can get 24 inches out of your engine, but it doesnt mean the tune is right. the needle needs to be stable and at it highest point. you can tell when you are getting closer and further away cos' your revs will be picking up at the same time. when the needle starts fluctuating and the revs dont go up, youve gone too far and go back a 1/16th of a turn and watch the vac guage for a few seconds.

i think it sounds like the mixtures
Spot on. Always go for the highest stable vacumm, if you get anything higher than 17"HG, with timing etc all set properly (using tools) I'll be astounded.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
I'm Gunna go out there and play with it, I think it sits just over 17, it's not completely still, but close.

kingswood country

Reaction score
Members Ride
hj kingswood
Correction, it flickers between 14.5" and 15" on the vac gauge at the moment.