Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

253 or 308?

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
VK WAGZ 5.0L, GQ Patrol TD42
Also bout the block, I didn't really wanna spend heaps on it coz this motor build is just an educational thing. So as the bores aren't to bad (no slop, and very minimal lip) I just asked him to give no.6 a hone to try and clean up the water mark (but being the nice guy he is, he gave them all a bit). But yeah getting more pistons and boring it out would of been the best thing to do, but I'll wait till I have a 308 for that. I figure if I stuff up the 253 I ain't gonna be stuffing up anything to special. I've never put a bottom end together, which is the main reason I'm doin this. :thumbsup:

Also got another pic.
253_goingbacktogether.jpg

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Do I have to use any gasket sealant or anything to put the rear main seal in, or do I just sit it in place then chuck the crank in? Is oil ok under it, or does it have to be 100% rubber to metal?

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
i assume your talking about a neoprene rear main, i usually put a small dob of RTV on the ends of the seal where they meet each other and a small smear along the rear cap face.

and yes oil on the crank to lube the seal is a good thing so it wont burn out.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Cheers mate. Yeah the neoprene one. Is RTV the same gear as that blue loctite gear which comes in a tube? We use that to replace gaskets.

Also, would it be worth building up a 60thou over 308? The std block the guy is using, but he has a 50thou over block which I can have for a carton or premium bundy cans. He told me it was 40thou but I measured it 2night with my digital veneer caliper and it's roughly 4.050". It's been sitting for ages and the bores are all surface rust. So yeah it would need to be taken out to 60thou I'd say....but I told him I'm not sure yet coz I didn't really wanna get one which is so far out already. But for about $70 would it be worth it, even just to sit out the back and maybe one day find a use for it?

RVK 355

M0DERAT0R
Reaction score
Members Ride
The real R series 355
yea thats the same stuff.

with the block, really if your goin to build something up, try start with something thats a virgin bore, that way the block will still have a few rebuilds left in it.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Yeah that's how I see it as well, but as it's so cheap I dunno if I wanna leave it there.....but I suppose if I buy it I'm just cuttin corners really...coz as soon as it's time to rebuild or sumfin I'm gonna need a new block anyways. I just might be waiting a while for a virgin block coz I don't wanna spend heaps on one, I'll wait till one pops up at the right price.

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride
Well turns out I got a 50thou 308 block lol. To start with my cous said $150 for it, but I told him I didn't really want one already bored out that far. A few days later he said just give him a carton of premium bundy cans for it, but I told him the same thing. Then the other day he came around for a few drinks for my 21st and he said I can have it as my 21st present lol. I guess he really didn't want it at all lol.

Not sure wat I'm gonna do with it yet, might make a table out of it or sumfin and chuck it in the loungeroom :thumbsup:

Here's some pics.

308block002640x480.jpg

308block004640x480.jpg

308block009640x480.jpg

308block011640x480.jpg

308block012640x480.jpg

DANNY8

Yo Coooornflake!
Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbrosracing.com
Members Ride