Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

tigervh

SS.....smokin....!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Tiger Mica EFI VH, VZ SS, XC Barina SRI
lol, no it isnt. the 253 never underwent pollution testing for unleaded petrol, since we no longer have super (leaded) fuel, OP would need to make it pass emissions somehow, which will require an engineer to tick it off. prolly sticking a couple of cats on would do it, along with retaining the OEM EGR and whatnot.

but still he will need that tick of approval.

There's no need for an engineers certifiate as the 83 onwards VH 253's complied with ADR27c and they are a derivitive of the 308/304 fitted to the VK. All you need to do is have the emission control gear fitted as per the 1983 Vh. They may require a blue slip to confirm the correct gear is there but that would be all. Its pretty much an owner certifiable modification.

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
"what do you guys think? 253 motor ok or get something else?"

Something else.

DerekP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 5.0
If it were my only option, I'd rather a 253 than a 202 any day.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
This reminds me of a post in another thread that said all those people knocking X Force have never had one.

Same here, any of you people knocking the 253 actually driven a 253 Commodore? It doesn't go half bad. As said, as long as it complies to emissions standards of the year of the car it is being fitted to, it won't be a problem.

Tuned correctly with the right sized carby, they rev hard and go quite well. With the wrong gearing they can be a slug off the line though, so if you have 3.08:1 diff gears, change them to a 3.45 or similar.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
This reminds me of a post in another thread that said all those people knocking X Force have never had one.

Same here, any of you people knocking the 253 actually driven a 253 Commodore? It doesn't go half bad. As said, as long as it complies to emissions standards of the year of the car it is being fitted to, it won't be a problem.

Tuned correctly with the right sized carby, they rev hard and go quite well. With the wrong gearing they can be a slug off the line though, so if you have 3.08:1 diff gears, change them to a 3.45 or similar.

I have, but what ever you do to your 253 I can do to my 304 with better results :) and on goes the never ending debate :)

cheers
Scott

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
No one is debating that a 304 or 308 is better than a 253, people just bag them for the sake of bagging them. All I'm saying is that it isn't that bad an engine when done right.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
He's not looking for all out performance, just an improvement to what he's got now which is currently the option of a 253 to replace to tired worn out 6.
If the Op is happy with a 253 being a little more powerful than the 6 (well a not worn out 6) then who cares if you get better 'bang for buck' modifying a 308 over a 253, Common sense tells us all that you'll always get better bang for buck with a 308 over a 253, just the same as you can get more bang for buck for a gen 3 or ls series than you can out of a 308.

If i didn't score my VL for free for it's running gear, I'd be looking for a similar deal to the OP with a 253 for my VB daily seeing as I've already got a factory 308 VH SS.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
in most cases you can buy a 304/308 setup for the same sort of money so why wouldnt you?
At the end of the day Im pretty sure if he did the 253 he would end up doing a 5l most people do, imo look around for the right transplant and do it once

scott