Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

255's front & 285's rear on VE SS

gasser_neil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v SII
so from what i have got out of this thread is i can fit the 20x9.5 45p under the back of my car with 275 tyres with about 8mm clearance to lip.

Thanks for all the info and input guys. Hmmm seems I need to try and find a higher offset. I did see something in a 20 x 10 +48 recently but I imagine from what's been said that still won't be enough for clearance or will it ?

gasser_neil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v SII
yes would be great if more wheels had that offset, but the ones i like dont. i dont mind having to roll the guards when i lower my car for extra clearance
With standard suspension yes. Best fit will always be 9.5 wide with 55P

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
so from what i have got out of this thread is i can fit the 20x9.5 45p under the back of my car with 275 tyres with about 8mm clearance to lip.

No mate you will not have 8mm of clearance to the inside of the guard lip with that wheel and tyre if the wheel is 45P. That is a very marginal fit. You will go very close to the face of the tyres rubbing the guard lip with that spec.

The wheel rim edge itself will extend out another 22mm compared with the stock wheels (wider wheel and lower offset) and the 275 tyre itself will protrude a little less at about 18 mm compared to stock set up. If you measure the gap between your stock set up on each side (outside face of the tyre to the inside edge of the rear guard lip) you will see there is not much gap to play with. I have seen one or 2 VEs with that spec and the 275 tyres which do not appear to be damaged from rubbing the inside edge of the rear guard but it is very,very close. Many tyre and wheel outlets will advise you to roll the guards on a VE with that wheel spec and 275 wide tyres.

I would try it out on your car and if you find it rubs you can get the guards rolled if you are happy to do that. If you want to avoid the possibility of needing the guards rolled I would run a 265 tyre. (In 20 inch x9.5 , that would be 265 35 20 but your tyre choices are few in that size.) That definitely will clear with a 9.5 inch 45P offset wheel because of the narrower section width of the tyre. You can even run a 255 35 20 on a 20 x 9.5 rim if you wish.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
^^^ that is all true but with standard springs you'll be ok with 4 people in the car (all 100kgs or less) and no luggage. But seeing as your happy to roll the gaurds Neil don't worry to much as a guard roll with give you about an extra 20mm+ if they do rub

gasser_neil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v SII
cheers guys will post some pics when i have it all done so everyone can see how it all turned out

gasser_neil

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais v SII
yes that is very confusing. makes you wonder if some of these guys really know what sizes or offsets they are running???

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8

wms

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS
The first post of this thread is all you need to read and be prepared to roll the guards

Offset Reference Ranges - "Will it Fit?" - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com

Yep Ducker, I've read and re read all 49 pages of that thread a number of times over. Further evidence of confusion reining supreme IMO. SpeedracerX's post is a combination of threads and posts that he's collated from the forum and it's all about fitments where guards haven't been rolled and there's been no reported rubbing or other issues for those fitments. Have you noticed that the offsets for 10inch rears where no problems are reported is listed as being between + 40 to + 45 with +45 being the most common, and the rear tyre sizes most common being 275 & 285.

Rear Wheels

8" 48 Stock is +48 (18" & 19")
8.5" 42
9.5" 35-57 Majority are 42-45
10" 40-55 Majority are 45, also 20x10 +60 with a 295/30-20 tucked and did not rub!
10.5" 46-47 50 seen now too.
11" 54

Rear Tires

275 & 285 are most common

Anyway I'll keep searching for the elusive high offset decent looking 10inch rims for a little while longer before I'll probably have to concede defeat and start looking at the 9.5's :hmmm:

I have to admit G8 forum member Slizzo's 20x 9.5 +40 all round setup with 275 fronts and 285 rears does look VERY impressive. Pictures of his set up are about half way down the first page of this thread.
10 inch rim on the ...FRONT??????... - Pontiac G8 Forum: G8 Forums - G8Board.com