Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

25mm mace manifold insulator fitted now car having spastic attacks. please help

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Think about it. The lift and duration of the valves is what determines how much air goes into a cylinder. Not the volume of the plenum.

Mace's plenum spacers are all about reducing heat from what I've read on their site. I presume the idea is that the therefore slightly colder intake is slightly denser therefore more oxygen per litre of air. The effect is hardly massive though. I'd be stunned if that's your problem. Sounds to me like something hasn't been reassembled properly, possibly a vacuum hose is not where it should be. First thing I'd be looking for.

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
The bigger t/b will be the issue as its letting more air in so the signal from the AFM & TPS are different and there for stuffing up the shift points because the box uses them inputs to work out shift points

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
Doesnt the bigger TB on ots own need a tune? Plus the better air flow through the manifold. I suggest getting a tune done by Mace or one of the other members on here that does them. Like The1 or someone similar.

you might be silly to spend more than $6000 doing this work. Certainly no more than $7000. $8000 tops.

a standard 6 cylinder TB is open less than 20% at 100 kph.

How much money can someone spend on something that you then use even less of ?

Money is better spent elsewhere

( i feel a stack of snappy throttle answers, or better pick up, or better economy answers coming on ... )

brocksta05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Acclaim
The AFM has nothing to do with the gearbox shift points. All it does is tells the ecu how cold and dense the air is so it knows how much fuel tospray in through each injector. And the tps tells the ecu how far open the throttle is which has a bit to do with shift points.

brocksta05

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S2 Acclaim
you might be silly to spend more than $6000 doing this work. Certainly no more than $7000. $8000 tops.

a standard 6 cylinder TB is open less than 20% at 100 kph.

How much money can someone spend on something that you then use even less of ?

Money is better spent elsewhere

( i feel a stack of snappy throttle answers, or better pick up, or better economy answers coming on ... )

Theres one of you on every forum isnt there. :/

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
The AFM has nothing to do with the gearbox shift points. All it does is tells the ecu how cold and dense the air is so it knows how much fuel tospray in through each injector. And the tps tells the ecu how far open the throttle is which has a bit to do with shift points.

This.

But AFM? Don't we mean MAF sensor? AFM always stood for Air Fuel Mixture to me.

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok then if your the expert why you asking on here? Put the standard t/b back on and you will be fine but if not enjoy driving your slug

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
This.

But AFM? Don't we mean MAF sensor? AFM always stood for Air Fuel Mixture to me.

Air Flow Meter or Mass Air Flow sensor either way lol

2O4TS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 9C1
Air Flow Meter or Mass Air Flow sensor either way lol

Ah, fair enough. Just got up. Heads a little fuzzy still and as I'm just so used to using MAF for the sensor and AFM for Air Fuel Mixture I didn't stop to think about rearranging the letters.