Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2nd hand runabout, what to get?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi all, I've decided that I'm in the market for a small runabout to save my crewy a bit. I'm thinking that I can get a good small car that is 2010 model or so for around the 5g mark. What are people's suggestions on what I should get? I don't mind the look of the Swifts, I like the Peugot for the diesel option but think they look terrible I don't think I could bring myself to buy a Focus or Fiesta.

Any ideas appreciated.
Cheers Shane

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Can’t offer any advice as to a specific car, but I think you should make a list of what you don’t want ............ Focus and Fiesta...nice cars when new, expensive to maintain after a few years.
Get something that is common, easier to get parts etc, you don’t need an orphan made by a company that nobody is familiar with, eg Chinese origin.
Forget diesels, turbos, CVTs, DSGs (by any name), and lots of electronic unnecessary ‘driver aids’. Something goes wrong, big bikkies to fix, no more ‘cheap runabout’.
Must have air bags, disc brakes all round, safety is important.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
In all honesty , this being a Holden based forum aside , for value for money I'd go for a Focus or the Fiesta .

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Don't discount Hyundais/Kias, word is these days that you would be mad to not at least look. You might actually be pretty surprised at how they compare to the Euros/Fords.

Any other particular use you'd be using it for or features you want? Any reason it has to be 2010+?

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
The only reason I would like 2010 + is that it should hopefully last for years to come(have had my crewy for nearly 10 years and want to keep it for at least another 10). Most cars these days come out with all the features that I want standard- decent stereo(easy to change anyway), air conditioning and cruise. Am not fussed on manual or auto although I think manual is much more common and more fuel efficient. At this stage it will be used for highway running once a fortnight and am planning on moving in the next six months or so to Newcastle so it will be used for daily commute to work.

Hertz Donut

Reaction score
Members Ride
Beastmode VS Equipe
Corolla or Civic. Boring but common and reliable,

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Hyundai Getz.

The things are hell boring but damn reliable,for 5k would get low mileage granny mobile.

Borrowed my brother's 1.6/auto Getz last few months cant fault it except for needing new shocks & door window rubbers...it's got 290k on clock.

Pity I need a ute for home renovations or I'd buy one.

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I used to hate them, but Ive been in and driven a lot of the newer Kias and Hyundais and I can tell you they are much better then before, the Kias especially.
Also FWIW my parents bought a new small Kia about 4 or 5 years back and its been solid. Does a lot of kms too.
It seems that most people these days are buying autos so it may be harder to get a manual, but with a lower powered car manuals are much better to drive.

I think that the Mazda 3, Focus, Corolla are still better cars but may be more then what you need.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
get an old ute - very handy!