Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2nd hand runabout, what to get?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
What sort of running-about will be done in it?
If it's not mostly at highway speeds, then don't get a diesel; there might be exceptions, but it's a fairly safe generalisation to say they don't like lots of short, slow trips like being stuck in traffic or only nicking down the shops 5 minute's drive away.
Don't get a Daewolden, but Hyundai & Kia are fairly safe bets in the size you're looking at. Same with almost anything from Japan, although don't buy a 2.4L Suzuki.
Europe's a bit trickier. Nothing wrong with a Focus or Fiesta, but you're starting to gamble if you're looking at French cars. The gambling also starts when you're looking at automated-manuals.
I don't agree that CVT's are so much a problem though, they've generally been pretty reliable.

$5k was what our 100k km one-owner Ecomoo VS Berlina cost us, 11 years ago, and it lasted 10 years before the engine died (due we think to a clogged oil pickup). Could probably get the last of the Ecomoo Berlinas for that sort of money now.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Mitsubishi Mirage Hatch.

They have been around for a few years now. Were only like $12,000 when new.
Or see if your budget can stretch to $12,000 - then you get new car warranty etc.

Drive it for 10 years, then chuck it out.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
A stretch would be 6k, not more than doubling the budget

Can't see where it says budget from OP is a stretch at $6000. If fact OP hasn't mentioned a budget.
But for shits and giggles, here is some cheap Mirages:
2013 Mitsubishi Mirage ES LA Manual MY14 - $7,997
2013 Mitsubishi Mirage ES LA Manual MY14 - $7,488
2013 Mitsubishi Mirage ES LA Manual MY14 - $6,800 - May be Pink tho(no photos)

I searched in NSW, since OP is in that state, according to profile. I also excluded the pink ones.

Ok, I lied, Here is pink one, complete with racing stripes for good measure.
2013 Mitsubishi Mirage Sport LA Manual MY14

I'm only advocating the Mirage, since their cheap, and are still quite new (OP mentioned 2010+)
Friend of mine has one, and she'll kill any car. Has NFI about them, surprised she even knows to how to put fuel in it. Hers has held up quite well. I was quite surprised.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
As i mentioned earlier at his stage it will be used around town and a fortnightly run to Newcastle, i plan on moving and will then be using it for city driving.
I did look at the Mirages but have found conflicting reports, although they are cheap(2014 model less than 6k on ebay from a dealer) i have read reports of them being a bit rough while cornering particularly at slower speeds(seems that it was specifically designed to be in cities). I should be looking at an i20 a Swift and maybe an Alto Friday or over the weekend. I want to spend less than 5000 if possible but there may be a bit of wiggle room for the right car.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Sounds like you have it sorted maginoodle.

The Swift is a good car - can be thirsty however., depending on what model year your looking at.
i20 depending on optional extras fitted would be a good buy also. (I find Bluetooth is a must, but if your going to replace the stereo its not an issue)

Depending on what you buy, and if your going to change the stereo, just double check there is a fascia kit available, some of these little cars may not be able to have a stereo replacement.
I'm speaking more of the Hyundai, since I know of the i30's of that generation,
your looking at requiring to take a hacksaw to the dashboard to fit an aftermarket unit. Once you've done that, there's no going back.

EDIT: if the i20 your looking at has any of the vehicle function(s) displayed on the stereo screen, your out of luck. That unit cannot be swapped for an aftermarket one.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
I ended up buying an 07 Yaris for $3600. It's a very tidy car but they are very basic. I will be installing aftermarket cruise control(have been looking into factory cruise and the ecu isn't cruise enabled in Aus, have to do research on a good aftermarket one), also need to look at the stereo it has an aux input but not phone compatible(not a must have but would be nice).

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I ended up buying an 07 Yaris for $3600. It's a very tidy car but they are very basic. I will be installing aftermarket cruise control(have been looking into factory cruise and the ecu isn't cruise enabled in Aus, have to do research on a good aftermarket one), also need to look at the stereo it has an aux input but not phone compatible(not a must have but would be nice).

Use to drive a 08 yaris for work. Poor thing was flogged every day by different drivers, great little car and handles great. But being a toyota boring as hell. But on the freeway at 110 it felt unstable.