Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3-2 Shift Solenoid

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Hi,
i was wondering where in the gear box of a VSII auto V6 the 3-2 shift solenoid is? Does the hole box need to come out or can I fix it by just pulling the sump off and its right there? The guy i spoke to said if its not just metal on the sump it will cost agout $80 for the solenoid and then $140 for the fluid change/service. Is that resonable? can anyone recommend a cheaper place? How hard would it be to change the solenoid?
any help would be great.
thanks, garth.

T

thorpey

if i had any auto issues i would call Jim Walton in heidelberg.
Dont play with it yourself, its guaranteed to cost you ten times that amount if you **** it up.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
alright who is jim walton? am i ment to look this guy up in the phone book?
yeah i rang a trans place and they said its on the bottom and stares you right in the face when you have pulled the sump off. sounds easy. i needed to replace the fluid anyway.
also whats the approx volume of trans fluid for my auto?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Service fluid change is 4.8 litres for the V6.

3lit3 fors3

The 3-2 solenoid is located inside the pan area. From under the car if you are looking towards the back....it is the closest one to you on the right hand side.
Alternatively, you can ring holden or drop into a dealership and they can print out a diagram for you.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
chers thanks. thats a great idea about dropping into holden. bloody gregory's does think their manual deserves pics of an auto's internals!
thanks guys.

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Is it actially having trouble changing gears? Ive got code 82 comming up and my check engine ligh on, apparently this is 1-2 gear solinoid but it is changing fine with all gears??? Have you changed the solinoid yet, let me know how you went.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yeah all fixed. some of the plastic had melted in the solinoid so it was cactus. it had a problem and sisnt downshift, eg kickdown, from 3 to 2. changed solinoid. oily and a pain in the artse job to do. easy enough though.
hey i bet your cars driving really slow. right?

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
No I really cant fault it, if anything 1-2 gear might shift a bit harder under full throttle from standing start. So do they have upshift and downshift solinoids? The other day while diagnosing I booted it in 2nd to see if it would downshift and it dropped back and lost traction (wet roads). All seems good, anyway I have it booked it today for them to diagnose.