Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8 V6 Using coolant - LIM gaskets recently replaced

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
The LIM gaskets were replaced about 3-4 weeks ago by a garage who did another job on the car. Since then the car has started using water. About 400 ml per 100 km.

There are no signs of a leak anywhere.

I suspect the problem might be the LIM gaskets even though there is no evidence of water in the oil.

I have read the gaskets should be re torqued after a couple of weeks.

If the leak is at the gaskets, is re torqueing likely to be successful in fixing the problem?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Most likely culprit is the LIM. They are plastic junk and the job needs to be done with care. I'd be taking the car back to the shop. The LIM are very light torque being plastic, the re-torque is just about ensuring compression, it's unlikely to resolve it or if so for very long. Mace aluminium gaskets are the way to go and upping the torque to 22nm

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The bolts for the LIM should be refitted with either some sort of thread locker or sealant or they can/will come loose. Put a spanner on a few bolts and test.

I've had trouble once doing LIM gaskets, now I do the bolts in multiple stages following the Holden bolt sequence and not had trouble again.

malmensa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Wagon
The LIM gaskets were replaced about 3-4 weeks ago by a garage who did another job on the car. Since then the car has started using water. About 400 ml per 100 km.

There are no signs of a leak anywhere.

I suspect the problem might be the LIM gaskets even though there is no evidence of water in the oil.

I have read the gaskets should be re torqued after a couple of weeks.

If the leak is at the gaskets, is re torqueing likely to be successful in fixing the problem?
Another remote possibility is porous heads. This was a problem with Ecotecs, Holden's "cure" was an additive to mix in with the coolant. These are often sold as "water pump lubricant" or "coolant tablets". V8s don't use it, just Ecotecs. It is mentioned in the owners manual. They look like small disks of mud, dissolve like small disks of mud, and coat the inside of the cooling system with something that looks like mud.

If you opt to run without these in your coolant and do an flush and drain usually nothing happens, but occasionally you draw a short straw and have coolant seep through the heads.

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I should have reported back earlier.

The problem was the water pump. There was a very minor leak on the shaft seal which wasn't noticable. I had a new pump ready to go on as I had replaced the idler pulleys and had noticed the pump had play in the bearings.

New water pump, no water loss. :)