Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8 vs 5.0 vs 6.0 take off / low end torque

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hi Guys.

I have a VT Wagon 3.8 and just for some fun I'm chasing some more punch right off the line without changing diff gears, I'd like to put a larger engine in it. I have noticed the Ecotecs just have amazing take off and torque below 3000rpm even against some V8's.

The car will remain automatic as it's a work car. I'm really not concerned about peak power as really it's just for a bit of fun but I don't want to make the car feel less punchier right off the line.

I'm wondering if anybody has driven both a VT/VX 3.8 auto and also a VZ 6.0L Auto and could tell me which one feels punchier only right off the line without absolutely smashing the throttle but just a stab and the low end power.

I did some research and a lot of guys who daily drive both their Ecotec's and V8 cars mention that their ecotecs just still feel more punchier right off the line but I can't say for sure. I'd appreciate any advice on how a 5.0 or 6.0 stock or maybe with a tune will pull right off the line compared to a Ecotec.

Cheers guys.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
LS anything would eat your ecotec even under 3 grand. Decide what you want to do, you say you don't want to change diff gears but would consider an engine swap. If you just want a little more punch in a daily diff gears for sure, 3.45 or 3.7 won't set the world on fire but will certainly lift you further into the power band on takeoff and are far easier to do than a whole engine change.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Ecotecs have much more low end torque than the alloytec v6, but the v8's certainly blow the ecotec out of the water for bottom end driveability.

And yeah diff gears are the way to go if you don't mind it revving a little more when cruising.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Funny no 5.7L requested by OP, I'm saddened

Chalk n cheese between V8 and V6 in reality

As for more low down torque mods, for a V6, open your wallet and keep it open

Diff gears best bang for buck though

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Having had a 3.8, 5.0 and a 5.7 ( all stock but no 6.0) .......... Chalk, cheese and chips.
A 3.8 is quick off the mark, but runs out of puff.
A 5.0 is pretty linear in feel, until it runs out of puff also.
A 5.7 is lethargic until it gets to near the point where the other two give up, and then ......... bye.

Zeke Topanaga

Reaction score
Members Ride
HX Sandman p van 308 4speed
Hi Guys.

I have a VT Wagon 3.8 and just for some fun I'm chasing some more punch right off the line without changing diff gears, I'd like to put a larger engine in it. I have noticed the Ecotecs just have amazing take off and torque below 3000rpm even against some V8's.

The car will remain automatic as it's a work car. I'm really not concerned about peak power as really it's just for a bit of fun but I don't want to make the car feel less punchier right off the line.

I'm wondering if anybody has driven both a VT/VX 3.8 auto and also a VZ 6.0L Auto and could tell me which one feels punchier only right off the line without absolutely smashing the throttle but just a stab and the low end power.

I did some research and a lot of guys who daily drive both their Ecotec's and V8 cars mention that their ecotecs just still feel more punchier right off the line but I can't say for sure. I'd appreciate any advice on how a 5.0 or 6.0 stock or maybe with a tune will pull right off the line compared to a Ecotec.

Cheers guys.
The 3.8L is quite snappy off the line and as you say, you are not on about power so much but just how it response, my wife had a 3.8L auto yep not a bad little engine that went better than any other 3.8L commodore I have driven, but the only thing I did not like was the auto that would not drop back to 1st at anything under 50 KM/H I think it was, so I would up it in the traffic and go f no ! I could not make the move because she did not drop back to 1st, not I found the box to be just fine but what I would want if it was my car is that when I use the T Bar shifter I want it to go back to first at least 60 to 65 KM/H and that's all, non of the other BS mods but just that function alone would make it liveable to me and I understand the reason why Holden make the auto function that way, for many people would loose control with the power coming on that hard, not to mention it's more easy on the auto life span.

I have done mods to my 3.8L ecotec manual with air scoop chip and exhaust but was it worth it not really because you gain nothing much down low to mid to really talk about and top is well oh hum.
I would say what you are saying is the 3.8L autos are quite nippy of the line and yes I agree they are good, but going down lower gears is not really the answer, but less weight sure can help.

Looking for a new car for the wife I test drove a stock FG 6 speed auto Falcon and f that was quick off the line, in 1st and 2ed they go real well but in 3rd what a gutless slug as soon as you hit 3rd, Alloytec V6 have nothing on that Falcon that I have driven and the wife bought a Aurion and that sure is quick off the line, but it goes mental axel tramping at times even with the traction control, but will blow any V6 commodore away, it's just that it's FWD that makes it not a drivers car you can be proud of.

I had a new VS series 3 ute 5.0L 5 speed 179KW and running it hard on 91 octane on a hot day it was that gutless that the wife's VS auto would flog it no problems, but if I ran 95 octane in that 5.0L it then performed just fine, but running 91 octane it lost around about 40 to 50KW easy and it was as stock as a rock.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Having owned 3.8,5.0.5.7 ls & holden stroker cars most with shorter than factory diff gears etc

Drove a Vz 6.0 litre auto maloo for a few days....it walked all over a lightened vn v6 t5 with 4.11 mini-spool thrash car I had at the time.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Thanks for the replies guys.

I guess I left the 5.7 out because it appears to be quite slow until it wakes up so more of a motor you have to rev to have fun with.

Would a 6.0L Auto pull harder right off the line as you stab the throttle?

SV6SIDI

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV REDLINE, FG XR6 TURBO
do a L67 swap . Its Punchy as hell down low, much more than a 3.8 ecotec. But even though it felt quick off the mark it was only as quick as a current sv6 sidi to 80km then would run out of puff.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Best way I can describe an l67: stock 304 bottom end torque below 3000rpm, then revs just like an ecotec after that. Nothing special about them.

I've owned numerous cars, a few with 304's, ecotecs, l67's, and one Buick etc so have been able to compare each one. I have to say that the stock l67 is underwhelming though. They just don't like to rev in stock form, but they do give awesome driveability.