Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8 vs 5.0 vs 6.0 take off / low end torque

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
What's with the different rim diameters front & rear Monstar

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
No reason to doubt that for the stock cars mentioned but I have found that there is a diminishing point of return in a VE A6 SS with a short diff and you are better with tall gears, even starting in second gear, and stock stall, than turning it into a engine case screaming ricer.
Boils down to tractive effort (force) vs traction (grip). I’ve done mods to increase 6.0 torque level and manage bandwidth, and swapped back stock 2.92 and deleted first gear from the tune, because both were counter productive:

True but aren't we talking about your average 4 speed auto's in the vehicles mentioned by the OP?

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
True but aren't we talking about your average 4 speed auto's in the vehicles mentioned by the OP?
6.0 has a six speed auto, doesn’t it?
With first deleted both are three speeds with overdrive (s), point was to clarify the common assumption that higher ratio diff gears get better times is true up to the point where you are better off changing gears less.

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Well he has a VT so that's what I'm basing the assumption on and didn't the VZ's still have the 4 speed auto's?

edit: I guess it also depends on if you have the torque to push the gears?

Last edited:

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
L67 would be the easiest and cheapest engine swap, put one in my brothers VX and it goes pretty nice. Fuel economy on the highway is the same but around town it has blown out by over 5ltrs per 100.

With the 10 pound pulley mod its pretty similar to my std LS1 Vy Tonner if not a touch more punchy. The Supercharger whine is pretty fun too.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Last of the vz were lightest of the commodores with the 6.0 they were still 4 speed auto with slightly stronger 4l65 that also has short 1st gear.

Only reason mention those is closest to vt shell,lightest with that engine & still reasonably affordable vs 6 litre conversion which is why few of said it's either shorter diff gears with vt v6 op has & be content or start looking at 6.0 cars.

Ve 6.0/6l80 just too heavy for my liking..lighter cars just feel more fun lol