Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8L Burnout Experiences

calaim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais v6
Hello all. This is my first post on this site and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience building a VT 3.8 competiton burnout car. I pretty much know what exhaust, transmission, throttle body and air intake im after but wanted to know what ignition systems and injectors people have had success with. Any stories or suggestions would be appreciated. This car will never be driven on the road so I am not concerned with emissions or any of that other annoying stuff, I just want to make lots of smoke! I am also not too concerned if I over power the diff cause that can always be welded and if anything else gives out then i guess ill have to try and find a V8 for transplant.

Fire away folks.

P.S I havnt laid a spanner on it yet so its all open slather from here.

danbotten

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx executive series II 3.8 ecotec
i love the v6 commos there a great engine but if you looking to build a competitive burnout comp car i would drop a v8 supercharge it ,lock the diff costom straight exhaust and buy some smoke tyres and if your realy feel like making some smoke run a 100hp shot of nos frew it

james1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
Dump the exhaust at the diff but split it into 2 and point an end at the wheels. Pushes the smoke out faster.

And the 3.8 won't be the best for burnouts.
The vt auto won't hold first manually without a kit. And the engine Wont hold second gear. A mate had a vt with 3.7's. Still would oh down in second.

Westie

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
i love the v6 commos there a great engine but if you looking to build a competitive burnout comp car i would drop a v8 supercharge it ,lock the diff costom straight exhaust and buy some smoke tyres and if your realy feel like making some smoke run a 100hp shot of nos frew it

Im assuming because he is looking at a VT V6 as a starting point, i dont think he has the money (or desire) to throw 20-30k on running gear for a reliable burnout car.

I had a VN V6 once, slammed it, 4.11's and a spool. It had 400,000km on it when i got it, put it on the pad and it threw a rod out the side of the block and thru the sump within 3 minutes... Best $400 ive ever spent!!

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
"Competition" burnout cars need 8 pistons and a 6-8/71 blower, end of story. Even angry N/A V8's can't really cut the mustard these days...

Didn't a certain "TUFF 253" win burnout masters at the nats last year? N/A and 253...sure could cut it. And what about that crazy red motor with a blower that got into the finals this year? That was f*cken awesome. So I'm gonna disagree with you, no offence :p

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
No, last year Gary Myers won the burnout masters (read:blown) and that 6 cylinder HR ute won the normal burnout comp, however it was wet for the finals and most of the heavy hitters had gone home and/or didn't try. Hence the 6 cylinder win. Had it been dry, there are no doubts in my mind a blown V8 would have been victorious.

This year blown cars won both the burnout masters and the normal burnout comp...

Also TUF253 (red LH Torana) is a blown 253.

No offence taken :p

F l a k

Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Exec
Ahh, fair enough lol. Hmm I must have been thinking of a different....253? What's that baby blue possibly VK wagon with trumpets, isn't it a 253? Can't remember now. Guess I take it back :p