Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3.8l v6 rebuild

tonypepperray

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR
Hi I was wondering if someone has got any idea of price or info that may help me.
i would like to know what sort of horsepower I could get and what sort of price would it be if I stroked my holden 3.8l v6 motor
to just over 4.0l, added a new double row timing chain or gear drive, stage II or III cam, port and
polished heads with 1.7 1.8 or 1.9 roller rockers with stainless oversized valves, port matched high rise manifold,
triple 52mm throttle bodies with ram tubes, Blue top injectors, oversize fuel lines with holley pump, surge tank and fuel
regulator, stage IV chip, MSD ignition, stage II t700 switchable manualised auto box
with 2400 or more stall, IRS LSD with 4.11
I think someone out there would have tried a set up similar and I would just like to know if I am
heading along the right track....
Any and All criticism is accepted although positive feed back would be more beneficial and appreciated
Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
i would like to know what sort of horsepower I could get and what sort of price would it be if I stroked my holden 3.8l v6 motor
to just over 4.0l, added a new double row timing chain or gear drive, stage II or III cam, port and
polished heads with 1.7 1.8 or 1.9 roller rockers with stainless oversized valves, port matched high rise manifold,
triple 52mm throttle bodies with ram tubes, Blue top injectors, oversize fuel lines with holley pump, surge tank and fuel
regulator, stage IV chip, MSD ignition, stage II t700 switchable manualised auto box

What is a "Stage III" cam (need specs)? What is a "Stage IV" chip (ebay chips are garbage)?

Any aftermarket cam that is that big will usually use standard ratio rockers anyway. Honestly, you might get 200kw with a not so good torque curve if you're lucky. Better use of money would be an L67 or a turbo.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Bit of work involved, but if you can do it yourself it saves a lot, but for the money spent on the V6 you can do an LS1 conversion and have good reliable power without any mods. I did one in a VC with change from $3K, including the engine and gearbox. Not engineered though as it's a skid car.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I think someone out there would have tried a set up similar and I would just like to know if I am
heading along the right track....

Come to think of it, Street Commodores did something similar on V6 Vengeance and got dick all. They ended up going for the turbo too.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Sell the car and buy one with the powerplant you want, even if a supercharged V6. Don't even think about the supercharger idea on an Ecotec either as heads, rods, piston etc etc are all different.
..or an LS swap into a V6.. So many different components throughout the engine bays. Even the engine and dash wiring harness are different too.
The money you'd throw at a V6 just to end up with almost the power of a standard supercharged V6, would be far more than selling and buying the right car with an LS.

..Then add power mods ..if you still want them.

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Don't - just Don't. The common stroker cranks seem Brittle, where the factory crank will tolerance a large amount of flex.

It's not worth it.

Oh - and in terms of engineering it - go for a Raptor over a turbo. Can get more power with a turbo, and more torque - until the Raptor with the variable speed drive hits the market. The point is commodore v6's came supercharged from the factory, making certification much easier. Just have to test the final build of it for NOx and Hydrocarbon emissions, and if youre within factory limits (and have upgraded the brakes and suspension to the biggest that came from the factory on that model - your in.

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
thats why C.O.M.E offers a billet 4.2stroker crank for the higher horsepower (boosted type)engines..... un-shore if anyone has damaged 1 of these billet cranks yet, only heard damaged standed type strokers on higher H/Power boosted engines.
There standed type stroker crank I have used for awhile now, in Naturaly asperated form an has been perfect... yes they are alittle costly, but myself, haven't had a single problem.

Last edited:

Tsunamix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 2
Billett COME cranks are brittle to.

I wouldn't buy a single crank that COME make themselves. The stuff that they resell is usually better.

Memory says iBlown blew 2 COME cranks.

NA - Why would you bother ?

Ecotec 4.2 litre Stroker short motors in stock. Normally aspirated 220kw exchange.
$6500.00 Price includes fully machined block, Powerbond balancer, COME billet cam
(several options) timing set and fully assembled with our NA stroker kit your choice of
compression ratio.

220kW ? I do that at the wheels with a stock block and a Raptor.

Jas.G

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 4.3litre
Cool, yea i haven't had experence with there billets... so hard to comment myself other then listen to other ppls history with them.
But mine, i have done a few thousand K's now on it an when i pulled the engine out it still tested perfect.(cracked tested an straight, with no wear marks) But thats mine!
NA- the stroker "i reckon" was was 1 of the better thing i did when building the engine. the low to mid range torque was very noticable, specialy with the engine setup to work in the higher rpm with the camshaft an exhaust choosen...to go 12.3 @108mph at the drags, NA. the larger displacement can't be bad, specialy with more left in the engine an car setup