Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

3000RPM Idling Problem

Sheriff69

This Town Aint Big Enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Here’s one of those annoying problems that we all face time to time with owning a car!

The car in question is a 2002 VY Commodore S Pack Ute, dual fuel, 5 speed manual.

It’s recently had an 180,000km service. The gas system (which is non Holden standard) has also been serviced a few months ago. New spark plugs were fitted during the 180,000km service along with your normal oils and filters.

The problem is that in the morning after start up on (on Gas at this stage) and only driving about 3km the car will idle at 3000rpm whilst in neutral at the traffic lights or a stop sign. You drive to a safe distance, pull over and turn the engine off, wait about 10 seconds and restart the engine with no problems – the car is now idling normally. In the afternoon when you drive back home the car doesn’t play up at all and behaves normally all the way home which is about a 40-50 minute drive. Five to seven days can pass before it will play up again as described above. Recently the car has played up all the time with switching the engine off and restarting it NOT fixing the problem.

We’ve had the Ute checked by an independent mechanic who attached the Tech 2 device into the car’s computer with no faults recorded. We’ve then taken it to a Holden dealer; they attached the Tech 2 to the car’s computer with a Low Voltage fault within the Fuel Injection System. According to Holden they required the car for a day to do further testing on the cars computers in an effort to try and isolate the problem, but the dealer being honest with me said that he didn’t want to do that at this stage as he would have to charge me a few hundred bucks with no possible answers.

Since the visit to Holden I have now flicked the cars fuel source over to petrol with no faults for the last 4 days. Next week I’ll be flicking it back over to gas to see whether the fault is either Gas related or Petrol related. At this stage it isn’t Petrol related.

When the fault occurs there are no engine fault lights illuminated on the dash to indicate a faulty sensor or other which I believe when running on gas it won’t do as the gas system is non standard, can anyone confirm that this would be the case please?

So I’m putting this annoying fault out there for anyone to try and help me with the cause of this problem. Any help or advice in fixing this fault would be greatly appreciated as no one at this stage can help me.

Thanking you all in advanced for your time.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
the low voltage reading will always be there because the injector voltage is turned off when running on gas simple fix for that is to return power back to the PCM without supplying power back to the injectors (done plenty of these in the past ) What gas system are you running ?? who fitted the new plugs and what type where they and what gap ??

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was the gas system dyno tuned or tuned on board ???

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Thanx for your speedy response strgas!

I'm not sure exactly what gas system the car has, maybe you can tell me what sort of systems are out there in an effort to tell you which one we have?

In relation to the Spark Plugs the car is fitted with NGK BP6EFS-13 which has a 1.3mm gap.

In relation to the gas system being Dyno Tuned or Tuned on board I'm lead to believe the gas servise place Dyno Tuned it but they could just be saying that.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
ok plug choice is good 1.0 mm would be my gap setting . as to the makes of gas systems there are so many on the market , which company fitted the system for you ?

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
The company that fitted the system are called LPG Coversions in Freight Rd Tullamarine, Melbourne.

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
You'll have to excuse me strgas as I have to sign off now, I have a 4am start tomorrow with work.

Please let me know what you think could be causing this problem as I'm keen to fix it asap.

I'll sign back on tomorrow night to check the progress of this forum.

Cheers : )

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I had a similar problem wit my VS. From memory is was the TPS, but i don't have gas so don't know if it is relevent to you.

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
I too thought it may be the Throttle Position Sensor or the Idle Air Control valve.

The IAC valve was replaced back in May this year after I pulled it apart to clean and was unable to put it back together! That excercise cost me around $75!

As far as the TPS sensor is concerned I've been told that if it was faulty whilst the car is running on petrol then it would send a fault signal to the computer thus illuminating the engine warning light on the instrument panel. This is yet to occur should the TPS sensor be at fault.

Any other ideas?