Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 budget rebuild - guaranteed to make you cringe

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
A little more progress today, fitted the rear main seal, main bearings and crank.

The rubber seal was very easy to fit, fingers crossed it doesn’t leak. I had to trim approx 2mm off each side with the linisher to provide approx 1mm crush. I fitted the ends of the seal halves approx 10mm away from the parting face of the cap as recommended.

I used Threebond 1104 to seal against the backside of the seal, and a dab where the two seal halves meet.

MeckeWW.jpg

rQvA8pv.jpg

I can turn the snout of the crank with two fingers with all mains caps/bearings fitted.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I've seen on YouTube just what it takes to fit one of those. If anyone can pull it off I'd say you could EYY.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I forgot you still had that. I'm always happy to see cars put back together though.

Reactions: Lex

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
A little more progress today, fitted the rear main seal, main bearings and crank.

The rubber seal was very easy to fit, fingers crossed it doesn’t leak. I had to trim approx 2mm off each side with the linisher to provide approx 1mm crush. I fitted the ends of the seal halves approx 10mm away from the parting face of the cap as recommended.

I used Threebond 1104 to seal against the backside of the seal, and a dab where the two seal halves meet.

MeckeWW.jpg

rQvA8pv.jpg

I can turn the snout of the crank with two fingers with all mains caps/bearings fitted.
EYY
how is that oil seal going, and leaks,
did you machine down knurling on crank or use as is
Interested as Im at stage of fitting seal and crank, although was working fro the Proform gasket box, where seal looks to be similar/same

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
EYY
how is that oil seal going, and leaks,
did you machine down knurling on crank or use as is
Interested as Im at stage of fitting seal and crank, although was working fro the Proform gasket box, where seal looks to be similar/same
Hey mate, no didn’t machine the knurling. General consensus seems that you don’t need to. Since this isn’t for a daily driver, it’s not the end of the world if it leaks lol

My free time has been a little more limited lately and it’s been too cold to go out to the shed at night so can’t give feedback on whether it leaks or not. I’ll get back into it shortly.

bjf66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN HDT Aero
thanks for taking time to respond
I had a crack at oil seal last week
although haven't dropped crank into block to check knurling or drag on crank
will do this in few weeks when return home
cheers