Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 cam upgrade

Polky304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 5L 5spd
g'day gents,

i have a 1998 series 3 VS 5lt manual ute (non-roller motor) as good as stock apart from the exhaust. im thinking of changing the cam over for a bigger one and then having it tuned. im not looking to build an insane skid pig or anything like that, just looking for a little more boogie and more of a lumpy idle.

I'm a diesel mechanic by trade not a petrol mechanic or race engine builder so please excuse my ignorance and vague questions!

1) Which cam/s would suit a stock engine like mine?
2) Depending on the extremity of the cam, how big can you go before valve train improvements are needed? or should the valve train be upgraded regardless?
3) how big is the job? approximate time needed to carry out the job?
4) Any precautions/traps to be wary of?

Some of the cams ive been considering are Crow 4651 & 4666 or Crane 276, 286.

I have more questions relevant to this topic but ill bring them up later on as i need.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Have a read of the stock 304 cam section just above your thread.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
I've got a mate with a 1998 series 3 Caprice and it has a roller block standard but not a roller cam. He said you can tell by the height of the lifter bore. Maybe just change it over to a aftermarket roller cam and lifters while your at it?

PJDM1980

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Bigger isn't always better when it come to cams. I'd be going something smaller that produces a heap of torque that is usable around town.

You will beat anyone with a bigger cam in the same kind of car around town, so unless you expect to be breaking the speed limit constantly the bigger cam is pretty much useless in a daily other than the wank factor of it sounding lumpy.

Go too big on a cam selection and you will find yourself needing a bigger intake and a bit of head work which can be expensive.

I'l add a video on cam dialling, its pretty easy.

Its not really all that big of a job, if you're a diesel mechanic then you're already one step ahead of everyone.

The engine will need to come out and preferably put on a stand.

Id guess in and out in under a day for your first time.

a dyno for these bigger cams is a must, so extra coin for a dyno tune is something to factor in if you're on a budget.

Last edited by a moderator:

Polky304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ute 5L 5spd
Thanks Ian, that thread sheds a bit of light on what i can and can't achieve with a stock motor! from that thread, the crow 4503 appeals to me although the rpm range he describes (3500rpm-6000rpm) seems a bit high for what im trying to achieve

Cheers for the link 304 runner. im definately looking for a mild cam which will actually be a gain in performance, as opposed to an overly rough, lumpy, barely running prick of a thing which is actually slower off the mark than a stock cam. the budget isnt really an issue so a dyno run will definately be on the cards.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Back in the "old" days of the 308 engine, the TQ series of cams were popular for torque applications. Getting a similar style of grind would be the way to go. Crow or Wade should be able to grind something similar.

sxi ss

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ss
The cam can be swapped with the engine still in the car, we did mine in my vr with the engine in place,

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
276 is meant to be the go for stock comp I'm told? (Researching for my car now)

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Thanks Ian, that thread sheds a bit of light on what i can and can't achieve with a stock motor! from that thread, the crow 4503 appeals to me although the rpm range he describes (3500rpm-6000rpm) seems a bit high for what im trying to achieve

Cheers for the link 304 runner. im definately looking for a mild cam which will actually be a gain in performance, as opposed to an overly rough, lumpy, barely running prick of a thing which is actually slower off the mark than a stock cam. the budget isnt really an issue so a dyno run will definately be on the cards.

I'm running the 4503 in my 304 with flat top pistons, stock heads
It's actually a really good all round cam. It actually makes decent power well below 3000rpm - I'd say more like 2000rpm. And from memory it's peaking just short of 6000rpm. It's not cranky either, can drive in traffic with a manual and 3.08 diff with no dramas. Although 3.08 gears are a little tall for it, 3.45's would suit better.