Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 fuel injection to carby conversion

nera

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
hi all, just wondering what info u could help me out with on this subject,
i have a v6 vg manual ute and im goin to convert it to a carby fed 304 auto. dont plan on drivn it on the road so lets not worry bout emmisions.
ONLY REALLY WANT TO KNOW ABOUT ENGINE SIDE OF THINGS. (K-FRAME ALL THE REST OBVIOUS)
E.G DIZZY CHANGE, BEST MANIFLD AND CARBY TO USE ANY THING OF INTEREST CHEERS.
google ups37 before u say its a bad idea. (carby fed 304 vs ute, trimatic., street commodores feature mag issue 140) . might change ur mind. keep in mind not worried bout it being legal . jus makin me self a toy, like the rest of us.. cheers all and thank you for any info

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Harrop and Torque Power both do excellent manifolds to suit the VN> V8. Just out of interest, why are you going carby?? I have fitted a edelbrock 4 barrel throttle body to a TP manifold which plugs straight into the loom (had to make a couple of wires longer but no biggee.

Reaper

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
carbys are more fun :)

i have been trying to nut out the dizzy's electronic control unit to no avail. if you can somehow figure out how to run the advance off the ECU without having all the wires and crap involved, i am all ears. otherwise you ignition system is going to let you down in a huge way. the only way to get fairly good power will be to go full aftermarket ICE or something similar, where the advance is completly reprogrammable, but you are talkin' 1200 bucks starting price for their setups.

as reap said the harrops are a great manifold and your carb will bolt straight onto it. personally i would be sticking with a quadrajet carby, and getting a place like hume performance to completely customise it (unless you know your way around them) because its the only carb i have seen that can be a 400CFM AND an 830CFM if it needs to be. the trouble you will find (i think) is that the harrop is a square bore and you will need a spreadbore for a quaddy. if you dont wanna use a spacer to fit the quaddy, then i would step up to a vac secondarys holley, but it would all depend on its use. if it will never see a road, and is just for straight lines, then maybe you should go a double pumper. cfm will al depend on your setup and what power you are looking for.

i have seen a 1050 daemon on a 304 and it wasnt running too rich, so i guess the sky is the limit as to what carb to fit. what cam/comp ratio/diff gears etc are you planning?

nera

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
cheerrs mate, im thinkn carby because the idea appeals to me and since ill be doin it myself want it to b easy (loom not hard tho), itll eliminate a bita wiring, cheap n nasty, planin on takn it to the track/shows n bak to the shed. not worried bout fuel/emmisions or anything legal.
google ups37 vs ute, 550hp standard stroke 5l, runin tp manifold and a 750 holley, trimatic, all the goods, torque on this car is amazing, tis my insperation.

nera

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
ill be runin a 750 holley dp on a tp single plain manifold if i run a msd ignition kit (distributer, coil, leads) i will eliminate my ignition problems. solid cam the best i reckon. 411's for the diff, comp will be figured when it actually happens, dont know yet as ill have to allow for what ever i decide to do , im gettn there, researchn like crazy. been dun plenty, jus want to get the best setup, cheers

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
if i run a msd ignition kit (distributer, coil, leads) i will eliminate my ignition problems.

yeah you would think so, but that isnt the case at all. our bosch dizzys are just no match for the advance curves you can get via EFI, they are totally customisable 'on the fly' and they can go from - whatever to + whatever as and when they need it. we are stuck with a pretty archaic advance curve, being solid weight and springs, and vac advance for street driving (pretty useless on the strip) you can get a dizzy expert to remap your dizzy to suit your cam and comp ratio, but it just isnt the same as the EFI curves.

i have a custom bosch dizzy, mallory MSD, mallory blaster coil etc and it still doesnt cut it. on a cold day its perfect! plenty of advance, plenty of power, but as soon as you put some temperature into the engine it just pings and leaves you power-less. the EFI modules can back off the timing when temps are up, or any other situation where it may need more or less.

just something to think about anyway. i think you will struggle trying to get 550HP wth a dizzy and MSD.

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
ari, you looked at ICE ignitions? my old mans running one on his 396 stroker, pretty good with on the fly adjustable advance curves, gives you more adjustability to stop pinging when you get a bad batch of fuel or on a hot day. i cant for the life of me remember what model ignition it is though.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
ari, you looked at ICE ignitions?

yeah i was looking.... till i found them.... and found the prices... then i kinda stopped looking

edit* for the record:
the only way to get fairly good power will be to go full aftermarket ICE or something similar, where the advance is completly reprogrammable, but you are talkin' 1200 bucks starting price for their setups.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you can use the vn ecu as spark only pretty easily

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Delco, probably off topic, but if one was to put a carby on a V6, could you use the VN delco ECU to run the spark? Because, I've been looking and i can't seam to find a stand alone spark controller for a V6....PM me if you wish to save cluttering this thread.