Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 Intake Manifold - Sealing Leaking Outlet Pipe

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais, VS Berlina & LX Torana
I'm in the process of piecing back together a jigsaw puzzle (304 VR). Purchased in pieces. I'm about to put the intake manifold back on....

Prior to cleaning it up - I observed silicone around the base of this pipe - can only assume there may have been a leak. No info or history from previous owner.

Is this a common issue?

Thinking of using some kind of sealant on this prior to installing. Thought about araldite, but read it might not cope well with high temps. What about JB Weld? Keen to hear your thoughts....

304 EFI Intake 1.JPG

304 EFI Intake 2.JPG

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Araldite is not good for automotive use, it's a glue, not really a sealer and will have issues with heat. Use something like RTV or on of the Permatex silicones, something similar to those anyway,

The pipe is press fit, so likely with some gentle persuasion (think like wiggling a tooth) you'll be able to get it out and seal it properly

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Or someone simply didn't know how to replace and old/tired heater hose/clamp so applied RTV instead? Looking at the old silicon it seems to have formed like it was at the end of a hose.

Get new hoses and try it without any sealant, you might be surprised. Can always add something later if need be.

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais, VS Berlina & LX Torana
Yeah I'd thought about that too - previous owner potentially fighting crappy old hoses etc... definitely a strong possibility.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Never seen one leaked & if you look from inside water they're pressed in dent length.

Only things to look for is water passage not corroded out on intake & doesn't leak front or back of intake/block faces other than that it's correct intake for ecu/loom...vs s3 or vt not worth hassle fitting to vn-vs map based ecu/loom.