Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

What size turbo can be fitted?

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
Hey guys,
I've tried searching for any related threads but they're all from 2014 or older. So I'm hoping to get some more relevant info.
I'm thinking about installing a single turbo in my vr 5l. I've seen the set-up where you put a driver side exhaust manifold on the passenger side so it faces forward and then mount the turbo there and then run the joining pipe around the back, between the firewall and engine. Has anyone else done this and if so what size turbo can be fited without having to cut away crazy amounts of engine bay or hood?
Obviously I'll have to do some cutting but less is preferred. Not looking to go crazy on the turbo size but would like to know what's a happy medium that will fit with the least amount of chopping.

Cheers legends

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Hey guys,
I've tried searching for any related threads but they're all from 2014 or older. So I'm hoping to get some more relevant info.
I'm thinking about installing a single turbo in my vr 5l. I've seen the set-up where you put a driver side exhaust manifold on the passenger side so it faces forward and then mount the turbo there and then run the joining pipe around the back, between the firewall and engine. Has anyone else done this and if so what size turbo can be fited without having to cut away crazy amounts of engine bay or hood?
Obviously I'll have to do some cutting but less is preferred. Not looking to go crazy on the turbo size but would like to know what's a happy medium that will fit with the least amount of chopping.

Cheers legends
If this is for a road car, go & see a engineer & buid from what the engineer tells you. Save a lot of BUTT hurt later down the track.

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
If this is for a road car, go & see a engineer & buid from what the engineer tells you. Save a lot of BUTT hurt later down the track.
Hmmm, very good point. It's for the road but don't plan to have it registered for quite a while.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmm, very good point. It's for the road but don't plan to have it registered for quite a while.
So, don't worry about the engineer.
Do what ever you want. Then a day is going to come when you DO want to register it.
So you go to the engineer & says NO fu#king way mate, this is illegal, this, that, this, all has to go! What did it cost you to build this piece of ****? The way it is, it will never get engineering! F#CK why didn't you come to me first!

Good luck! You are going to need it

You might not think it, but l'm just trying to help!

Last edited:

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
So, don't worry about the engineer.
Do what ever you want. Then a day is going to come when you DO want to register it.
So you go to the engineer & says NO fu#king way mate, this is illegal, this, that, this, all has to go! What did it cost you to build this piece of ****? The way it is, it will never get engineering! F#CK why did n't you come to me first!

Good luck! You are going to need it

You might not thinkit, but l'm just trying to help!
I understand where you're coming from, but all do respect that wasn't my question. If you wish to swear and run down my decision then make your own thread. I've asked for piticular information for what I wish to do now. I'm old enough to figure the rest out myself but thank you for your time. Cheers

Reactions: Lex

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
I understand where you're coming from, but all do respect that wasn't my question. If you wish to swear and run down my decision then make your own thread. I've asked for piticular information for what I wish to do now. I'm old enough to figure the rest out myself but thank you for your time. Cheers
Sorry mate. No disrespect was intended.
Just the engineer could answer all your questions, & put you on the right path for a successfull build.

ballinger123

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5.0L ute
Sorry mate. No disrespect was intended.
Just the engineer could answer all your questions, & put you on the right path for a successfull build.
No disrespect? That's a cop out. "What did it cost you to build this peice of ****?"
Come on man, assuming my capabilities and knowledge because I've asked what size turbo would fit, is a **** move. I love this forum for all the information it has granted me, but you've single handedly soured that love. And all for what? Are you an engineer?? If so, can you please tell me what I can and can't get away with when it comes to fitting a turbo into a vr engine bay? Otherwise this was all a pointless conversion and most likely has stop any chance of me getting an answer from someone who has done the exact thing I wish to do. Cheers...

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
No disrespect? That's a cop out. "What did it cost you to build this peice of ****?"
Come on man, assuming my capabilities and knowledge because I've asked what size turbo would fit, is a **** move. I love this forum for all the information it has granted me, but you've single handedly soured that love. And all for what? Are you an engineer?? If so, can you please tell me what I can and can't get away with when it comes to fitting a turbo into a vr engine bay? Otherwise this was all a pointless conversion and most likely has stop any chance of me getting an answer from someone who has done the exact thing I wish to do. Cheers...
No l'm not.

I'm currently getting my car engineered for some of the **** that l've done to it.
But the engineer is at the end of my journey. Wishing l had of gone to him first.

Mines got nothing to do with turbos or go fast parts either.

So by by.

waikato willy

Reaction score
Members Ride
1984 VK calais
back in the day when I turboed my 304 injected motor in my blue vk grpA rep I used factory cast manifolds flipped forward and mounted the turbo at the front ill find some pics , was more of an experiment , I used a factory garret TA45 turbo off some old international truck , with everything stock it managed 5 psi on factory injectors and map sensor , surprisingly made a lot of difference , big problems though , motor as weak as piss for boost , had trouble keeping it cool , a lot of heat pumping off a lot of exhaust now , and it was a mission getting any kind of of decent exhaust out the back , next to no room under the front for at least a 3" exhaust anything smaller and ya wasting your time , I ran it through the inner guard up behind the front strut , not ideal but worked well , ended up pulling it all off and just went back to a 100hp shot of nitrous