Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 or LS1, personal opinions.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
haha i havent got an ego mate. this thread is about your opinion, and my opinion is the ls1 is awesome, never said the 5 liter was useless, its just old and theres better things out there. just like the ls1 is now kinda old and not as good as the l98/ls3. its not about whos dick is bigger its just a fact, so dont get so cut anout about it yeh? i really think if you owned an ls1 you would love it, more power better fuel economy, whats not to love?
the fact that its not a real holden!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
If you want a car that sounds fast, buy a 5.0

If you want a car that IS fast, buy an LS

if you want piston slap, rattles, oil consumption and spun bearings, buy a LS1.....

my 5L has no probs keeping up with HSV VY/VZ/VE's on the circuit - even down the straights. Most of those HSV's have more power than my 5L on paper, yet don't seem to pull away down the straights, even with lower diff gears. They only seem to start winding up by the end of the straight, whereas the 5L punches harder out of corners and reaches it's potential earlier. I suspect on a long straight like Bathurst they would have the legs, but I was actually quite surprised that my 5L could keep with them at the 2 different race tracks I've driven - keeping in mind we're reaching around 200kph at the end of the straights. And my 5L is nothing radical. Just goes to show manufacturers quoted power figures and dyno readings don't mean much in the real world.

I'm not suggesting LS1's haven't got more potential than the Aussie 5L, but the 5L has more than enough potential to keep up with the LS1's, without spending a fortune.

Last edited:

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
if you want piston slap, rattles, oil consumption and spun bearings, buy a LS1.....

my 5L has no probs keeping up with HSV VY/VZ/VE's on the circuit - even down the straights. Most of those HSV's have more power than my 5L on paper, yet don't seem to pull away down the straights, even with lower diff gears. They only seem to start winding up by the end of the straight, whereas the 5L punches harder out of corners and reaches it's potential earlier. I suspect on a long straight like Bathurst they would have the legs, but I was actually quite surprised that my 5L could keep with them at the 2 different race tracks I've driven - keeping in mind we're reaching around 200kph at the end of the straights. And my 5L is nothing radical. Just goes to show manufacturers quoted power figures and dyno readings don't mean much in the real world.

I'm not suggesting LS1's haven't got more potential than the Aussie 5L, but the 5L has more than enough potential to keep up with the LS1's, without spending a fortune.
too true!:beer chug:
i know u did a front brake upgrade on yours!
did u do any suspension or steering upgrades??
what do u have to do to get it compliant for the track??

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
too true!:beer chug:
i know u did a front brake upgrade on yours!
did u do any suspension or steering upgrades??
what do u have to do to get it compliant for the track??

the car is by no means a purpose built track car, rather a well set up street car - so my suspension is fairly much the usual street mods. I only participate in street sprints, so the only requirement for this class is the car must be street registered and roadworthy.

Steering is just a VS rack, mounted in standard holes. I've added 0.5 deg (total) extra negative camber, but the rest of the settings are factory
koni yellow adjustables front & rear
kmac adjustable strut plates
lovell S/L springs
upgraded sway bars
urathane bushes
adjustable panhard rod
3.08 LSD

You should get out and have a go at your local track. One thing I can guarantee, is that it's addictive!

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
the car is by no means a purpose built track car, rather a well set up street car - so my suspension is fairly much the usual street mods. I only participate in street sprints, so the only requirement for this class is the car must be street registered and roadworthy.

Steering is just a VS rack, mounted in standard holes. I've added 0.5 deg (total) extra negative camber, but the rest of the settings are factory
koni yellow adjustables front & rear
kmac adjustable strut plates
lovell S/L springs
upgraded sway bars
urathane bushes
adjustable panhard rod
3.08 LSD

You should get out and have a go at your local track. One thing I can guarantee, is that it's addictive!
does the VS rack mount up to the vh/vk kframe as i kept my original instead of fitting the vn/vr kframe.
ive been contemplating putting my stroker build on hold just to do a full suspension upgrade but im in 2 minds at the moment......
tax time shortly so i might bight the bullet and fit some swaybars and all the other goodies

id love to hit the track in it....QR is my closest

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
does the VS rack mount up to the vh/vk kframe as i kept my original instead of fitting the vn/vr kframe.
ive been contemplating putting my stroker build on hold just to do a full suspension upgrade but im in 2 minds at the moment......
tax time shortly so i might bight the bullet and fit some swaybars and all the other goodies

id love to hit the track in it....QR is my closest

yeah QR is my closest too, a bit over an hours drive.
But Lakeside (a bit over 2 hours away) is a more fun track to drive. But let me know if you ever plan on heading out to QR for a sprint day, I'll try and make it out there myself. I've done one sprint day there and a few slower paced 'happy laps' at the cruise for charity. QR is probably a better track if you haven't done a track day before. Far less intimidating but you want to have some good brakes!

The only reason I used the VS rack was because I fit the later model k-frame to put an end to the burnt up rack seals