Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 or LS1, personal opinions.

vsclubby/cv8z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Clubsport 5 speed, CV8Z 6 speed
I have a VSII clubby and a CV8Z monaro. I love both cars and both the engines. I think one of the big things is the car weight here. The monaro is around 400kg heavier so that has a large effect on the feel of the 2 cars acceleration, braking and handling dynamics. Neither car is slow, they just feel different to drive. The VS has a feeling of more urgency to rev whereas the monaro feels a little slower to rev but once it hits its stride its a beautiful thing.

To me it's about the driving experience more than quarter mile times. It all depends what you want from your car. Bang for your buck and easy quarter times? Chev engine hands down. The easy power potential is obvious and an almost limitless aftermarket for parts. Sure it will cost you more in the aussie 5L but some times it's just that much more satisfying to be thought of as the underdog and come up trumps.. I personally have a real soft spot for the aussie engine and the cars that ran with them. There is of course the sound we have discussed at length too! The chevs can sound good too but in my opinion the holden wins that battle...

I say drive what you love, not what your mates say you should. My 0.02 worth..

smokem

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss 5.7
you want to make good power cheap and quick ya go ls1 and they go killer!! lil stick a cheap set of pipes and a tune and ya running at street drags, driving home n constantlt turning heads!!

then ya look at bottom ends 5l has 2 bolt mains!!! ive turned 5.0l to nearly 8000 rpm for years and havent had an issue but
the risk was there!!! ls1 has 6 bolt mains!! killer!!!

alot of ls1,s have a slight rattle or tick in em but if ya run the right oil it will go away!! make sure ya run ulx 110 it aint cheap but you will never run anything else!!. i put it in mine and theres no rattles or ticks at all!!

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I have had both a VN SS and a VX SS from new, when I picked up my brand new VX SS I was amazed at the difference the LS1 made, it just felt so much quicker and revved a lot more freely especially at the top end. The 5 lt does sound a lot nicer and the initial throttle response feels like it has more torque but I think it is just the initial response to the gas pedal. Loved them both but stock for stock the LS1 is so much better. Just my opinion from having both.

5ltrs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs
yeah, obviously stock for stock LS1 is superior, but id drive the 304 any day. they sound mint when stock, and ****-hot when they are cammed. stupid to compare them, totally different eras and technology advances.

304runner

( .Y. )
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0 Ute & a 4runner with a VS SS trasplant
Im a big fan of the 304's based on the simple fact I can work on the with confidence, and as mentioned in a previous port the sound from an Aussie 5 liter is unmatched...

Id still love to own an LSx powered anything though.

capitalgainz

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 berlina gen3
i dont know, 5ltr rear main seal leaked like a biatch in the vk calais (vs senator motor swap)
everything on the gen 3 leaks.....
more performance parts for ls1, cheapish bits for it. makes a lot of power easily
can't seem to hard launch the ls1 with out breaking traction all the time.
personal opinion really? but i think its time to move up the technology so ls1 the go

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
then ya look at bottom ends 5l has 2 bolt mains!!! ive turned 5.0l to nearly 8000 rpm for years and havent had an issue but
the risk was there!!! ls1 has 6 bolt mains!! killer!!!

6 bolt mains is impressive, but remember we are talking aluminium block. 2 bolt caps in a cast iron block would have comparable strength to a 4 bolt alloy block.

Dan355

Go THE SS's
Reaction score
Members Ride
Street Legal 355ci VN SS - Daily: VP SS
yeah, obviously stock for stock LS1 is superior, but id drive the 304 any day. they sound mint when stock, and ****-hot when they are cammed. stupid to compare them, totally different eras and technology advances.

Thats right!

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
If you want a car that sounds fast, buy a 5.0

If you want a car that IS fast, buy an LS