Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 or LS1, personal opinions.

SimoVXSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS
When looking at buying my latest ride, was looking at either a VT 5L or VX 5.7L

You simply cant beat the LS1 when it comes to performance. In the end no point having a nice sound and being left for dead IMO.

Plus bang on a nice exhaust and a LS1 sounds awesome!

redcv6

supercharged intercooled
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss ute, diesel landcruiser 100s, hq panel van
first thing first. the 5ltr sound, fu*k me dead, just beautiful. ls1 to be perfectly honest is ok, but nothing to special in my PERSONAL opinion.

power: 5ltr never going to compete with the lsx butttttttttttt stroking it to 355 or 383, well game on!

carby 5tlr = my favourite v8 in a holden

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I think the problem here is most 5L were in lighter cars i.e VL-VS and majority of LS1's are in the later cars, as said above 5L sounds great and has quite good pickup, even though its fuel injected it has little 'extras' the LS1 is also a great motor with its direct coil on plug situation and being alloy of course too.

each to their own if I could have a VS with an LS1 yes but if I could have a VX with a 5L no thanks.

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
I think the problem here is most 5L were in lighter cars i.e VL-VS and majority of LS1's are in the later cars, as said above 5L sounds great and has quite good pickup, even though its fuel injected it has little 'extras' the LS1 is also a great motor with its direct coil on plug situation and being alloy of course too.

each to their own if I could have a VS with an LS1 yes but if I could have a VX with a 5L no thanks.

its too bad that the direct coil on plug causes it to be an ugly looking motor. thats one thing i like about the 304s, the simplicity of the way they look

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
its too bad that the direct coil on plug causes it to be an ugly looking motor. thats one thing i like about the 304s, the simplicity of the way they look

agree'd they look much better, with its metal covers and not cheap tacky plastic everywhere.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Stock for Stock the 5 litre makes 400 nm of torque at 3200 rpm the LS1 makes 460 at 4400 rpm. So there's not much in it at all up to 4000 rpm with the 5 litre having the edge at 3500 I'd say, but the 304 falls over at about 4500. A healthy stock 5 litre in a Auto VN will run 9.7 on the 1/8th mile stock. A stock Auto LS1 in a VX will run about 9.4 So there's your performance difference. Over the 1/4 mile the gap is greater because the LS1 is much stronger on the top end. Being a much bigger engine with a MUCH better manifold the LS1 responds better to bolt on mods. I think the LS1 is a great motor, if your main goal is to go fast then that's what you want. But the 304 is a proper Holden and the sound of the thing alone for me makes it a keeper. There's not many factory towing motor kind of V8s that can match the 5 litre for sound, some of the Fords come close. Back in the carby days I used to think chev small block sounded better than the Holden V8 but when the injected motor came out in the VN my idea on that switched

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
after driving an ls1 then going and driving a mates 5 liter, the 5 liter felt about as strong as my old v6. sure they sound nice but who cares how good a car sounds if its slow. having never drive a 355 or 383 but looking at the power they make i dont think they would be as good as a tuned ls1. an LS1 with a tune exhaust and a high stall will run mid 12's all day, it takes a lot of cash to get a 5 liter that quick.

blueV8vl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL V8 & supercharged VX
i love the ls1s with a cam and nice exhaust sound awsome and got the pwr to back it up.
i own a 308 but there all noise have more fun in a ls1.

FusionX

Reaction score
Old 5 litre for me. Why? Because a 355 can easily run 10's and still be streetable. While the LS1's can aswell and for cheaper, it's my choice to spend a little bit more and have the quick 355.