Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 powercruise build

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
Hi all, forgive me if im posting in the wrong area and if this seems like a noob question to ask. I havent used forums before and dont use social media like facebook. Just wondering if someone could tell me whats the biggest cam i can run in a purpose built 304? I simply want it for powercruise, not burnout comps or street use. Thanks

Oh probably worth mentioning i suppose, this build would be going in my Vq. I realise i wpuld need to do manifold, forged internals, comp ratio, big stall etc.

H

harrop.senator

Skies the limit on crazy custom solid grinds. You really need to put up budgets and what other mods you have a wild powerful cam in one car is someone else's grocery getter. Cam size is the last of your worries.

If you want it angry n lumpy choose the cam you like the sound of and rated powerband and build the car around it. Or like most people figure out what you're doing with rest of it and choose cam that suits.

Comp , heads , manifolds , box , stall n gears all come in to play on bump stick choices.

H

harrop.senator

And also if spending all that money should be asking largest cam selection for a 355 lol.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Need to know way more than that to answer your question, how much power are you looking to make, budget, stock or stroked. If it were me a 288 solid with a 355 cubes would go sick. Otherwise a mild cam and a couple of snails would get it moving. Would make more power built right too.

H

harrop.senator

98℅ of turbos v8s will eat 98℅ of built na same cubers its how long she lasts haha.

But in all honesty cheapest Power you'll pull is by forcing the stock 5 litre. I just read on another post you're having someone build the motor for you. Tell him your goal n budget n leave most up to him.

For some reason the best motors I've built are the ones I've specced out n not the ones where people have given me a list of the parts that I obviously need to build a fat motor. It's really strange how many people can design a better spec build then I can yet can't screw it together :p

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
Thanks very much to all for your positive input. As mentioned in my post i am a "noob" at all this. Truth be told i am most likely going to go a stroked build. I dont know anything about the possibilities off 450-500rwhp but thats ultimately what ive been dreaming about. As far as a budget goes even that i am unclear about but it wont be anythin less than $10,000. Anything more than $20,000 and im going to have to really suck up to the missus for a long time lol.

I have no desire to be "faster than you" type thing. All i really want is my spastic and lumpy toy i take out for shits and gigs. And to absolutely stick it to my old man haha. He hates the idea. The trouble i am actually having regarding the cam question is i just don't understand the information provided on spec sheets. Im not a mechanic im simply a truck driver paying the building bill. This being said i dont want something that isnt going to make me moist in my panteloons. It will be trailed to and from a track environment. And maybe used to pick the kids up from school just the once lol

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Probably best to talk to your engine builder about which cam to use mate as has been said it really needs to be matched with the rest of your engine particularly your compression ratio, heads, stall speed if auto, inlet manifold and exhaust also diff gear ratio comes into play as well if u pick a cam that's too big for the rest of your combination it will just be a pig to drive and be under powered

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
Probably best to talk to your engine builder about which cam to use mate as has been said it really needs to be matched with the rest of your engine particularly your compression ratio, heads, stall speed if auto, inlet manifold and exhaust also diff gear ratio comes into play as well if u pick a cam that's too big for the rest of your combination it will just be a pig to drive and be under powered

Yea that makes good sense, this is what i had guessed i should probably do. Ive heard wrong cam choice could be a big problem. Cheers aye.

SIRGMH

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Series 2 5L
Borgwarner s366 and a uteload of tyres should get you there. 300rwkw shouldn't be too hard.

I thought i was being a bit ambitious hoping for those sorts of figures