Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 transmisson 4L60e Speed sensor

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If I Recall Correctly

As Far As I Know

Just don't ask ASL ;)

Mario K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
I installed this gearbox in a VS 304 1996 and the gearbox would not change gear, stuck in first gear.
Would this be related to ECU issue not compatible with this gearbox (not being a VS box) or is the gearbox fCCk?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I installed this gearbox in a VS 304 1996 and the gearbox would not change gear, stuck in first gear.
Would this be related to ECU issue not compatible with this gearbox (not being a VS box) or is the gearbox fCCk?
The issue described is typical of a problem with the speed sensor.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
What fault codes come up?

vss has fault code even if intermittent but sounds like it's in limp mode...when did conversion I didn't notice trans had it's own fused power source to accessories so when car was running it was stuck in 2nd gear only knew when checking codes obviously.

Is trans correct one to your ecu or memcal? Is it a conversion or just different transmission?

You work out what trans it's meant to have like 4hbd or 6hbd or whatever is correct?

Is oil clean or burnt?

Hard to offer advice if story missing pieces.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Given the original post was about a speed sensor cable not being long enough. I wonder if it has even been plugged in? I have seen this exact issue when the harness on the speed sensor was damaged.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
The ECU shift maps a based on road speed vs engine load.
This has its advantages, but also disadvantages. Such as no VSS = no gear change, and trying to tune WOT commanded shift points in relation to the rpm you want it shifting at.