Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 whipple /vortech

Jason 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn 304
Hey Guys , would like to hear some feed back from people that have fitted a 2.4 Whipple on a standard 5 ltr. I see some people reaching nearly 400 hp atw while others get only 260. Are people that have one happy with there choice or would they go a side mount second time round.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Ok, i dont have either. But my understanding is the sidemount is cheaper, and thats it's only advantage over top mount.
I think if procharger did one it would be a different story though.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Depends on what you are trying to achieve.

PD style blower (whipple) will produce bulk (tyre frying) torque almost right from idle where as the centrifugal style blower (vortech) produces boost in a linear fashion reaching peak boost at high rpm.

There is a guy on the Commodore plus forum who's got a whipple charged 304 which might be worth checking out.

Making good power comes down to the tune and a good fuel system to keep up with the engine, also, on a blown engine you need a good exhaust and good thermal management.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
think harrop just done a 2300 to suit the 5.0

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Haven't got the positive displacement type on the 5l , it's on a ls1, and yeah low down grunt ( suitability for street use ,grunt when you want it down low is great).
It's stock engine wise apart from that so does feel a little flat up top because of the low down torque

Check this out , lots of money = no object , their 2300 supercharger, 355 harrop crank , Higgins ported cast iron heads and more = 813 hp @ 6950rpm @ flywheel
Harrop in conjunction with sams performance
Harrop have or are about to bring out a valley type 2300 for the 5l
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=#&ved=2ahUKEwj366Cd3encAhVKv7wKHRAfCOwQwqsBMAF6BAgOEAU&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Don't know that, that link is working, just Google harrop 355 supercharger

Jason 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn 304
Between whipple and vortech theres only $500 difference.
Trying to choose something that looks neat as and works well. Torque down low probably suits me better.
Will definitely be looking into the Harrop one, it has never come up on any supercharger search that i have done.
Thanks everyone

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

Interesting comment (from the Harrop guy) about the crankshaft....

You won't make the same power in the car breathing through the factory airbox!

Jason 304

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn 304
What everyone thoughts at first glance on this compared to Yella Terra Whipple set-up ?...In the video, is the optional intercooler pump mounted where the air-con usually is?, not an expert on how these top mount are intercooled, it would be nice to know what this set up is like on an engine not so expensive plus wonder how much boost they were running to achieve those figures. Would like to up load a pic of my engine bay but having trouble doing it