Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

308 No oil pressure after oil change

Micaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
9/17 SSV Redline & 83 VH SS
Changed the oil today on my SS 308, new oil in new filter Ryco z30 (had Z160 in it, a lot smaller in size) & on starting now has no oil pressure on guage. engine started to get a bit noisy after 30 seconds of running so we shut it off. Removed the new filter & it had no oil in it so its not picking up. Removed the relief valve & the spring is also ok. Still no pressure & noisy when running. Looking at some old paperwork that came with car it looks like it may have around 250k km & has been sitting somewhere unregistered since 2001. I bought it at auction in Feb. Any ideas or do i just go for a new oil pump? Thx

Edit. Car was running normally before the oil change, had a good run previous weekend.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Would be handy to have mechanical gauge hooked up as engine might have oil pressure but too low for dash gauge to read on really tired engine.

I'd pull pump off smear gears in grease or vaso so there is seal to stop it sucking air.

Pour oil down sender hole then fit mechanical gauge.

Fully charged battery...could try cranking no plugs or fire it up...your choice.

Been known to happen for them to have no oil pressure when been drained overnight for oil change so if it's sat for years same theory.

Youtube clips on how to rig up device for oil pressure but I've never done it.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
take off oil pump pack the oil pump with vasaline put it back on start it again.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Maybe throw the 160 back on, see if it makes pressure then quickly throw the 30 on when it's still primed.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
Yep, fairly common problem with Holden V8s, I've even seen it happen while driving due to the oil surging to one side/end of the sump!

To add to the above, I'd pre-fill the filter with oil before fitting as well. It probably won't help with the pump sucking air but it will mean the engine is running for a few less seconds without oil pressure. Just be prepared for a little spillage when screwing on the filter.

This may also be the reason behind the smaller filter (smaller filters fill up quicker).

I have sometimes gotten away with pouring oil down the sender hole in the past, but I've also had to resort to dismantling the pump.

The third option is to buy/borrow/make an accumulator that feeds engine oil under pressure into the sender hole. It doesn't necessarily need to be permanently mounted in the car, but if you're gonna have a Holden V8 sitting around for any length of time, it's a worthwhile addition to your workshop.

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
Changed the oil today on my SS 308, new oil in new filter Ryco z30 (had Z160 in it, a lot smaller in size) & on starting now has no oil pressure on guage. engine started to get a bit noisy after 30 seconds of running so we shut it off. Removed the new filter & it had no oil in it so its not picking up. Removed the relief valve & the spring is also ok. Still no pressure & noisy when running. Looking at some old paperwork that came with car it looks like it may have around 250k km & has been sitting somewhere unregistered since 2001. I bought it at auction in Feb. Any ideas or do i just go for a new oil pump? Thx

Edit. Car was running normally before the oil change, had a good run previous weekend.

so... just HOW MUCH oil did you add? where is it on the dipstick?

don't larf .. I know of ppl who did an oil change .. added 2.5 litres or similar (or what was in the container)
and wondered why the engine rattled on start up ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Lex

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Yep ive had this on a 308 I once had ...filled up the oil filter and spun it on quickly ...fixed the problem for me....oil all over the ground...lol

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Been there, done that too.

I always pre-fill the oil filter now. With a bit of skill there is minimal spillage.

I'd recommend cranking with the plugs out till you get oil pressure (your bearings will appreciate it).

Last edited:

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
~ I'd recommend cranking with the plugs out till you get oil pressure (yours bearings will appreciate it).
That's that beauty of an accumulator... You actually get full oil pressure before the crank even turns!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I don't disagree but that's not a cheap addition, more of a race car type add on.

I only suggested cranking without plugs because it's been run without oil flow for a bit of time so any remaining oil film will be fairly much non existent. Under normal circumstances the remaining oil in the bearings is enough to protect the bearings during a cold start.