Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 355 rebuild. Virgin bore.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Personally I wouldnt touch a hydraulic cam with a ten foot pole imo.

Solid roller FTW lol.
600 lift and 106 lsa...now ya talkin...that would be my perfect cruiser cam.
I never realized but those crane hyd cams have pissy lift

Btw Op....you'll need at least a highrise dual plain...throw those bananas in the bin....just be done with it and go single plain....give it a few months and you'll be lookin for more power and then you'll be pulling it apart and spending more coin...in the end its your donk, do as you will.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Personally I wouldnt touch a hydraulic cam with a ten foot pole imo.

Solid roller FTW lol.
600 lift and 106 lsa...now ya talkin...that would be my perfect cruiser cam.
I never realized but those crane hyd cams have pissy lift

Btw Op....you'll need at least a highrise dual plain...throw those bananas in the bin....just be done with it and go single plain....give it a few months and you'll be lookin for more power and then you'll be pulling it apart and spending more coin...in the end its your donk, do as you will.

Sent from my R800i using Tapatalk 2
With the bottom end done, theres only the top end for more power. Since its only going to be a weekend (if i ever get time off) its just going to be a nice sound that im after. Since its a ute, it wont touch the circuit. And the closest drag strip is 4 hours away, theres not really need for massive power.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
After getting our 355 running it's pretty lumpy. I think anyway. 296 duration, 110 LSA, .520 lift. Got the idle set at about 950-1000, just idles. Has a bit hunting. Still need to tune it under load.

The difference between solid and hydraulic is that yes, solids have more lift, good if you want high RPM and high HP. The H304 is about the biggest hydraulic cam you will get, but for the application we are using it in, it's pretty much ideal. The engine won't be revving over 6K and it was built to hold 5000-6000rpm consistently and reliably. It's not a cruiser, it's not a dyno queen, it's not wank factor. It's a skid car. I picked the H304 because I couldn't justify the extra $700 + for adjustable rollers and the rocker covers to suit, just to say "yeah man, 288 solid cam". Who gives a ####. we went 355 to make good torque to spin the tyres easily in top gear, something the 308 wouldn't do as it was getting a bit tired. The next step in the build will be a single plane and 4 barrel TB. Probably some bigger injectors too.

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
After getting our 355 running it's pretty lumpy. I think anyway. 296 duration, 110 LSA, .520 lift. Got the idle set at about 950-1000, just idles. Has a bit hunting. Still need to tune it under load.

The difference between solid and hydraulic is that yes, solids have more lift, good if you want high RPM and high HP. The H304 is about the biggest hydraulic cam you will get, but for the application we are using it in, it's pretty much ideal. The engine won't be revving over 6K and it was built to hold 5000-6000rpm consistently and reliably. It's not a cruiser, it's not a dyno queen, it's not wank factor. It's a skid car. I picked the H304 because I couldn't justify the extra $700 + for adjustable rollers and the rocker covers to suit, just to say "yeah man, 288 solid cam". Who gives a ####. we went 355 to make good torque to spin the tyres easily in top gear, something the 308 wouldn't do as it was getting a bit tired. The next step in the build will be a single plane and 4 barrel TB. Probably some bigger injectors too.

Sounds like a good plan. Yours is really starting to come along which is uping my spirt about this one. I have been watching your thread closely. Funny you mention the 288, as thats the one i ended up ordering, overkill and a half, but you know.