Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 stroker kit, where to start?

Dsmitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 vc commodore
Well if thats the case, just hand the block and heads to a genuine builder and let him do it all....id expect no change from 18K to get something built to your screamer specs....

im a little confused...you initially state you wana build it yourself because money doesn't grow on trees....then secondly you say you dont have a budget????
a high comp, max torqued screamer cant be built in your garage with no rebuilding skills...if so the only screamer will be you when it lets go at 7000rpm

Yeh I did say money doesn't grow on trees didn't i, perhaps I should get saving. I only want to spend 10k roughly on the build, anything more my mrs would have it over me forever lol. I spoke to one shop and they've quoted me 7k for a short motor machined and assembled

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
And what's that inc?

Dsmitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 vc commodore
And what's that inc?

That was to hone the bores, chemically clean and crack test, machine for crank clearance, but I've got a 97 vs block so it doesn't need the clearance, supply fit and balance the kit, I can't remember what brand or what was in the kit though sorry. I'm just getting started with this whole stroker thing mate, I'm not sure how much time and effort goes into one, all I've ever done was build my top end in my 308. I got a quote from one place and it was 7k. Does that sound right?

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Need to know what it includes. Could be good. Could be bad

bush_basha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Man, for what you are saying that you want, you will need a engine builder to build. You can't expect to get a burnout machine with no build experience. Especially high compression and high torque, you'll be need to check all your clearances aswell as PtV clearance. Maybe if you were building a paddock basher engine then go for it as Its experience and it don't really matter, lol.

Then also with a solid roller you have to check rocker clearances regularly to make sure there all correct etc etc

Also take your budget and then triple it, builds never come out on planned previous budget unfortunately

Dsmitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 vc commodore
Man, for what you are saying that you want, you will need a engine builder to build. You can't expect to get a burnout machine with no build experience. Especially high compression and high torque, you'll be need to check all your clearances aswell as PtV clearance. Maybe if you were building a paddock basher engine then go for it as Its experience and it don't really matter, lol.

Then also with a solid roller you have to check rocker clearances regularly to make sure there all correct etc etc

Also take your budget and then triple it, builds never come out on planned previous budget unfortunately

Ah k no probs, so I'm looking at about 30 k for a 355 short motor and a solid roller camshaft to be built by a shop?

bush_basha

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE GTS
Probably not that much, but a general rule of thumb is take your build budget and triple it. There's always the little stuff that you miss and it all adds up very quickly.

Last edited:

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
yeah I budgeted for 10k...blew out to 12.5k but that's only because I wanted the heads pushed a little further and went full msd ignition, upgraded fuel lines and a custom stall.

I bought and supplied all parts req for the bottom end, then for complete machining and assembly, cost 5.5k in total excl sump and that was through a pro builder who builds drag engines not a general mechanic/rebuilder.

shop around, don't cheap out and use a well known/reputable builder....roller cam, roller lifters, dual springs that will handle the cam lift, hardened push rods and good quality roller rockers will empty your wallet too, so grab your ankles and lube up haha....I may be wrong but I don't think 10K will get you a high comp, roller cammed 355.

The entire combo has to match from sump to carb to perform, oh also my block is 97 VS and it needed clearancing for crank...not much but it did. Heads will need to meet the cam requirements to get the best out of it and also possibly a match ported manifold....theres a lot involved and a a lot to take into consideration....this is when the budget blows out as Bush Basha suggested

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
Don't know where some of these figures are coming from but I've personally seen 550HP 355 Long motors for 13k.

What power do you want? Your heads may have been done in the past but are they good enough? Big power motor will need some banger heads.

Dsmitz

Reaction score
Members Ride
1980 vc commodore
Don't know where some of these figures are coming from but I've personally seen 550HP 355 Long motors for 13k.

What power do you want? Your heads may have been done in the past but are they good enough? Big power motor will need some banger heads.

Only a mild port job mate, pretty much took a bit out around the valve stem in the bowl and took a bit out of the bowl itself, they def need more, machined for springs, 7/16 rocker studs aswell, shaved .040. I bought them reconditioned for 400 with the springs, new valves/seals/retainers, got a good deal, had them ported got the car running, took it to motorvation and the week after the bottom end went pop. I've got crane gold rockers, and a new set of springs to suit a crane 288 which on the cam chart on the crane website states are the same springs they use for thier solid rollers. The 13k figure could be a pavtek deal or an advanced automotive deal which I might add both sound like good combinations for your dollar. Forget power figures though, I want an engine which runs mid-low 11 second quarter mile passes on pump fuel and I may put it on nitrous when I'm bored of it.