Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

355 VN Group A Replica

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
The gold dome is a pressure sensor for the gauge not a switch hence the size, in theroy you can run a line and hide it somewhere but cbf atm.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Better picture of the munched diff gears.

20130313_172459_zps51450d85.jpg

Finished of the oil cooler, only used 2 cable ties!

20130316_213531_zps063d7cb0.jpg

20130316_213511_zpsc1aa5938.jpg

This is the air duct on the passanger side that now aims air directly at the cooler.

20130316_213740_zpsb9f37372.jpg

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
Nice ride mate !!! Just wondering iv got a oil cooler the same as yours nearly exactly the same but did u bleed yours before u mounted it up that way because wont it be full of air that will be traped in there ??? Iv mounted myn up the other way with fitting coming out top and filled it with oil before connecting oil lines to oil filter adapter !!!

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
i'm suspecting an air issue in that oil cooler setup... i've nearly killed my box in my stato with the lines orientated the same way with a cooler that's the same shape.
Might be an idea to turn it around mischa.

Vs hsv manta

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs hsv manta
i'm suspecting an air issue in that oil cooler setup... i've nearly killed my box in my stato with the lines orientated the same way with a cooler that's the same shape.

Yep I'd think the same if its full of air then there will be some bad effects from it that's for sure exspecially if he takes some hard corners the oil will run to one side and engine will sux air while under load !!! And it's hard to tell but if it higher then the oil filter adapter then it will run dry every time he changes the oil to !!! Myn is mounted In front of radiator and the lines go up higher then the oil filter adapter so when I disconnect the oil filter I only loose oil from about 200 mm of the lines and the cooler stays full but I'm on regular oil changes every few thousand so oils never real dirty

Jecs

PAVTEK Race Engines
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Caprice 355ci & VZ SS Ute
oil cooler set up came up a treat

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Nice ride mate !!! Just wondering iv got a oil cooler the same as yours nearly exactly the same but did u bleed yours before u mounted it up that way because wont it be full of air that will be traped in there ??? Iv mounted myn up the other way with fitting coming out top and filled it with oil before connecting oil lines to oil filter adapter !!!

Thanks! No I did not bleed it first, I did think about it but since there is no flow through there at start up and very little when it starts to get warm it would be negligible. I did keep a close eye on it when starting and running it for the first time and nothing was reading below normal.

Guessing the auto cooler was a in line cooler without a thermostat? I would be worried if I had seen any drop of in pressure since ive installed it but its all good.

Yep I'd think the same if its full of air then there will be some bad effects from it that's for sure exspecially if he takes some hard corners the oil will run to one side and engine will sux air while under load !!! And it's hard to tell but if it higher then the oil filter adapter then it will run dry every time he changes the oil to !!! Myn is mounted In front of radiator and the lines go up higher then the oil filter adapter so when I disconnect the oil filter I only loose oil from about 200 mm of the lines and the cooler stays full but I'm on regular oil changes every few thousand so oils never real dirty

Hmm, only problem is where it is now its impossible to turn up the other way without running the lines under the rail then loop backup. Even then not sure if i would get enough of a turn on them.

oil cooler set up came up a treat

Thanks Jecs, hopefully help with track day oil temps.

Either way guys ive been in europe for the past 3 weeks and have 3 to go. Cant wait to get back i miss my car :(

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Been working on version 0.97 of the center control pannel. This time with neatened up wiring and plugs.

Also had a problem with the car not turing off. Found the fan fuse melted and the cable shorting out the EFI relay, at first I thought it was the ignition switch going. So a upgrade in the wire ive run for the fans will be needed, stupid how it didnt blow the fuse first though.

Apart from that I still have to get those rocker covers done, thinking 3/4" barbed fitting on each one in the original locations or ontop (just worryed about the lack of baffling ontop) and one on the inlet manifold for breathers. Also a coolant crossover will be added when I do the manifold breather.

Last edited:

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Got a spare set of rocker covers welded up, then spend 2 days polishing them.

Baffle under the top breathers.

Fitted to the engine with the front breathers just plumb to each other until my fittings arrive. Top ones are all done, just need a decent catch can made up now to sit in the old battery tray. 3x dash12 in for the top breathers, 2x dash12 out and a dash8 or 6 drain back that ill either plumb back to the sump of leave blocked depending on how much oil I get in it. The dash10's on the front of the covers will go down to the sump on either side and let air up/oil down. Vally breather will have to be done later.

ashleysnep

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
355 VN GRP A REP
Update.

Since last long drive I went on I noticed two issues. One, my tyres needed changing and two car was surging at only half a tank around several corners.

So I took this opportunity to install a surge tank, that will help greatly with track days. I also got the tank repaired as the breather fitting had been leaking and also got a extra return line added as seen below.

Got the tank from Aftermarket Industries, just a awesome tank. Fitted it up over a few weeks during my spare time, paired up with a 044 pump now using the Walbro in tank to supply the surge.

Also made up a neat little control box for the pumps with new wiring to each so there will be very minimal voltage drop at the pumps.

Once that was done I was having trouble with the cooling. The water pump was not working all the time. I found that the switch controlling it was a bit dodgy and went open circuit occasionally and so far a new switch has seemed to fix that. I also changed the manifold gasket as it had a slight leak from when it got a bit to hot, this meant I could install a water crossover at the rear as well.

This really seems to be something you do if your going to circuit/track the car and helps with evening the temps between cylinder banks. New gasket and some blue stuff and it was back together.

Finally got around to fitting my new slicks to my rims. Now they take up half the space :p

Also since the tune is now a little bit off I thought this might be the time to purchase one of these :D

2000.jpg